Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Parenting Styles

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:46 PM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: What is your parenting style?

Options:

Attachment Parenting

Helicopter Parenting

Instinctive Parenting

Permissive/Indulgent Parenting

Authoritative Parenting

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 12

View Results

Does your style make it hard to find other parents that feel the same way that you do about raising children? Do you limit your friends to those who only parent like you? 

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I don't think I really fit one specific style.  If I had to chose though, I would say I am a crunchy mama.  I baby wear, breast feed, cosleep, don't vax, we use natural consequences, ect. 

sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I would say I am an intelligent mama, with an intelligent, responsible, involved parenting style.  I breast fed untill I returned to work--which was a few months.  I vaccinated my children, so they are healthy and did not infect others.  When they needed medications or psychiatric care, they got it.  They slept in their own beds from the time they were born.  We had rules, and consequenses for breaking the rules.  They had clearly defined expectations of morality, responsibility and education, which we went to pains to help them achieve.  They were carefully supervised, using the motto, "trust but verify".  We chose to live in a safe neighborhood, with great schools, plenty of opportunities for fun activities and enrichment, and lots of like-minded parents.  We had to sacrifice a little to live there, but we still had good times and have good relationships with our kids that last to this day.  And they are raising THEIR kids the same way.  

coronado25
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Mine has changed through the years...I would say my parenting style is adaptive more than anything. 

I want to add that my friends had very different parenting styles, and that never bothered me. However, my parenting, I found out later, bothered some of them.

Some of these friends' kids were walking the rocks of a jettyduring a beach bbq.  I would not let my children follow because I have seen waves break over those rocks, and have been caught, while surfing there, in strong eddies on the other side of it. I mentioned this to my friends, and was so paranoid for their kids between the ages of 6 and 12 scrambling along those rocks, that I was accused of being overprotective and neurotic. Ten minutes later all the kids were swept into the sea and a scary rescue had to take place.  I did not say "I told you so", nor did I get or expect an apology for their criticisms.

Years later, my daughter, age 14( an avid surfer), was allowed to paddle out at a well known to her break while I took my son (10) on some errands with me. People we knew were on the beach. Everyone witnessed my daughter take a bad wipe out and paddle in. She sat on the beach and waited for me to return, she was a bit shaken up, and did not go back out that day.  These people we knew criticized me for having let her go surfing while I was gone.  Weird. As if I could've prevented her wipe out had I been there?

I don't really understand most folks' parenting ideas.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:12 PM
I don't need other parents to parent the way I do to be their friend. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sherry132
by Sherry on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Whatever CIO, noncosleeping, non breastfeeding, public schooling, non PTA, feeding my kids table foods "to early", you know all the negatives that supposedly ruin a kid. 

Ones got a full scholarship to a prestigious college. The other one is an A B student well on his way. So, that's the kind of mom I am. 

1CrazyCajun
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Although I don't like lables, mainstream is where I fit in. Opposite of 'crunchy'.

Mainstream Moms Attached Parenting not quite your style. Are you more laid back?Come join other like minded moms.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I don't fit any one of them specifically. I am a mixture of all probably.  I don't limit my friends to those who parent like myself.  I don't have a hard time making friends with any parental type.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I don't limit my friends to the way I parent.

I breast feed, semi-co-sleep (with nightmares, boo boos etc), vax, and some others I can't think of right now.

sjump25
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I don't limit my friends to their style of parenting.  

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:03 PM

This exactly

Quoting sabrtooth1:

I would say I am an intelligent mama, with an intelligent, responsible, involved parenting style.  I breast fed untill I returned to work--which was a few months.  I vaccinated my children, so they are healthy and did not infect others.  When they needed medications or psychiatric care, they got it.  They slept in their own beds from the time they were born.  We had rules, and consequenses for breaking the rules.  They had clearly defined expectations of morality, responsibility and education, which we went to pains to help them achieve.  They were carefully supervised, using the motto, "trust but verify".  We chose to live in a safe neighborhood, with great schools, plenty of opportunities for fun activities and enrichment, and lots of like-minded parents.  We had to sacrifice a little to live there, but we still had good times and have good relationships with our kids that last to this day.  And they are raising THEIR kids the same way.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)