Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

High Ketones

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM
  • 9 Replies
So my 4 year old niece has come home from her fathers house 4 weekends in a row and thrown up. It only happens when she leaves there. My sister took her to the e.r today and all that the doctor could see was that she had high ketone levels in her urine. Blood sugar levels tested normal. I'm concerned because this morning her father called my mother, her grandmother and on speaker phone had her say that it happens at her house also, the 4 year old and her mother live there. She said that she makes herself throw up. My mother asked her when, knowing its untrue and my niece answered with mommy. I'm obviously imagining that there is some sort of foul play involved. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this or have any idea of a possible cause??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM
High ketones is caused by dehydration. So if the child has been throwing up that's not abnormal at all.

And I think the dad was covering his bases. I mean if there is no reason to suspect him of abuse then you shouldn't over analyze this. Maybe he wanted to know if she is getting sick because she doesn't want to be with her mother. Maybe he wanted to her from her that she get sick other places.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM
No idea - but I hope it gets figured out soon!!!
CRYSTLEB
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM
No there's actually a dcf investigation going on because her and her brother cry every time they have to go to his house. They spend most of the time there with his new "baby mama" because he works nights and sleeps days. I think the phone call was just him covering himself. It could be dehydration I suppose
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Again high ketones in urine = dehydration. IF YOU THROW UP YOU GET DEHYDRATED.
I think y'all are looking for reasons to start shit with him. The way you talk about him makes him sound awful but he must not have been to bad since your sister had not one but TWO kids with him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CRYSTLEB
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM
I appreciate your opinion and kindness. God bless you
SugarMamaO76
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:29 PM

high ketones can also indicate diabetes and liver malfunction coupled w vomiting BILE .... I am diabetic I pee on these lil sticks to be sure I dont have high levels and if I do I need to up my insulin. Diabetes or say hypo glycemia can cause a person to vomit especially if nervous or stressed out already.

CRYSTLEB
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:41 PM
I'll have her check into hypoglycemia, the doctor in the e.r ruled out diabetes this morning. Could simply be stress, thanks for your comment

Quoting SugarMamaO76:

high ketones can also indicate diabetes and liver malfunction coupled w vomiting BILE .... I am diabetic I pee on these lil sticks to be sure I dont have high levels and if I do I need to up my insulin. Diabetes or say hypo glycemia can cause a person to vomit especially if nervous or stressed out already.

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I hope they can figure out what is going on.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Good Luck finding out what's wrong. Don't jump to conclusions.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)