Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

at what age do u think your child should start doing chores?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:01 PM
  • 31 Replies
Maybe 7 i think how about everyone else
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SugarMamaO76
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I ask them to pick up after themself at a young age but actual chores? IDK lol My oldest will be 7 and aside from helpin gout here and there and being responsible for his own stuff I feel like his job is to go to school and learn.... helping out is plenty, when he is older and can handle a heavier work load then we will see about actual chores.

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I must be mean.  Jackson will be turning 4 this week and he does some simple chores already.  He picks up his room daily, makes his bed, and he helps set the table for dinner.

Bella14308
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:10 PM
My oldest 2 do whatever chores i ask of them (pick up living room, load/unload dishwasher, sweep, mop, vaccum)

My almost 2 year old has her "chores" (pick up her toys, put her dishes in the sink, "help" with the dishwasher - no i dont make her she just comes over and starts helping)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Amy on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Even little ones can help with picking things up, dusting and setting the table.

LadyOphelia
by New Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I started both of mine from age of walking. I wanted it set in them to pick up after themselves.  As they got older I started to add actual chores. Standards being bed made, room picked up, clothes in the washer.  Now that my kids are 9 & 12 they have real chores. It is my 12 year old's job to delegate some bathroom chores to his sister. They are the only ones to use their bathroom, so they keep it clean. Amazingly he gets better results from her than I do. He does certain parts & she does certain parts. They alternate vaccuuming. They alternate rinsing the dishes & putting them in the dishwasher. They have begun doing more outside chores too. I was raised with "earn your keep", so they are raised to help around the house too....no monetary compensation. For extra things, I will pay them a few bucks, but those things are always asked if they want to make a few dollars doing *insert thing here*

KaylasMama11
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:10 PM

my daughters five and she is responsible for cleaning up what ever she plays with, also putting her dishes in the sink thats about it.

sjump25
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:29 PM

My kids both help around the house.  I don't really call them "chores" but if I tell my 2 year old to pick up her Legos or her dolls she does.  She puts her clothes in the hamper and dishes in the sink.  My 6 year old son does the same.  Never to early to have them start helping around the house IMO.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:05 PM

As soon as they can walk they can start helping.  They start picking up toys as itty bitties, then we start w/feeding animals, letting them in and out, the small trash cans, helping with laundry, dishes, dusting etc.  it increases as they get older.

kayla4507
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:07 PM

My son is 5 and he just started chores this year. 

He feeds and waters the dogs as well as brushes our aussie on warm days.

He dusts (not that good, but he tries)

and when needed, helps me take out the trash. 

pampire
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

4 or 5.  I prefer to call them "responsibilities".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN