Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be annoyed?

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband and I are seeing a couples counselor every Thursday night, which I think is a lot, but she thinks we need weekly sessions, and we have a $600 deductable for the year so I have to pay her, she is accepting a reduced rate of $60 each. So this morning, early, I texted her and said we would like to cancel for tonight because it's Valentines day, and a couple hours later she texts me back that she can see us at 3 or 6pm (our session is at 7pm) or she would have to bill us $125 (her regular insurance rate) for the missed session, and "sorry you have therapy on Valentines Day" Kind of ticked me off. I'm seeing her at 6pm alone probably.

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Replies (31-39):
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Hmm, even more rude...

Quoting marchantmom06:

Umm I'm sorry but if a made up holiday to celebrate chocolate an flowers is more important than fixing your marriage I can clearly see why you are in counseling to begin with.
You messed up, it's not her fault you can't glance at a calendar and see what's up.

Quoting Lindalou907:

Of course not, don't you ever cancel anything? Sheesh, that was quite a rude response. And to us Valentines actually isn't "just a day" It's pretty special.

Quoting marchantmom06:

I don't see why you wouldn't go if you were serious about it?? Valentines day is just a day. You can celebrate love every single day of the week.

So because it was the 14th of February I should have cancelled my daughters therapy at the last minute, put off going to work, and not gone by the grocery store?

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:42 PM
The truth hurts huh??

Quoting Lindalou907:

Hmm, even more rude...

Quoting marchantmom06:

Umm I'm sorry but if a made up holiday to celebrate chocolate an flowers is more important than fixing your marriage I can clearly see why you are in counseling to begin with.

You messed up, it's not her fault you can't glance at a calendar and see what's up.

Quoting Lindalou907:

Of course not, don't you ever cancel anything? Sheesh, that was quite a rude response. And to us Valentines actually isn't "just a day" It's pretty special.

Quoting marchantmom06:

I don't see why you wouldn't go if you were serious about it?? Valentines day is just a day. You can celebrate love every single day of the week.

So because it was the 14th of February I should have cancelled my daughters therapy at the last minute, put off going to work, and not gone by the grocery store?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CotterpinDoozer
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I'm sorry, but I agree with a lot of the other ladies, you should have canceled or rescheduled at least 24 hours prior. I hope you were still able to do something.

boys2men2soon
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:24 PM

That would be the last time I saw her.....I would use the appointment to tell her how ridiculous it is to insist that a couple trying to work on their relationship spend Valentines Day with a counselor...instead of putting what she has taught you to good use.

GraceStrickland
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I agree with everyone else.  24 hour notice is standard, she is there at work on V-Day and she could have been making money during that hour.  You knew it would be Valentines Day on the 14th.

lisahappymom
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Generally, for last minute cancellations a therapist can charge half the insurance fee to split the difference.  Charging the full fee seems excessive and punitive. 

Though maybe this incident highlights that you might already be unhappy with the therapy?  Maybe for reasons other than the fee?  ...just some thoughts I had - sorry if I'm reading too much into your words. 

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I also thought it was excessive, but she cashed the check already so maybe she just really needed the money. You're correct, I'm not that excited about her abilities as a therapist, she doesn't ask us to do any homework, and often she forgets things from one week to the next, which I would too, but I would take notes at least and get myself up to speed before the session. Thanks for your insight :)

Quoting lisahappymom:

Generally, for last minute cancellations a therapist can charge half the insurance fee to split the difference.  Charging the full fee seems excessive and punitive. 

Though maybe this incident highlights that you might already be unhappy with the therapy?  Maybe for reasons other than the fee?  ...just some thoughts I had - sorry if I'm reading too much into your words. 

bigmama423
by Liz on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM
I agree.

Quoting offrdngal:

I think it's ridiculous, but really you should have given 24 hour's notice.  Most offices have the 24 hour notice or get charged policy.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:43 PM
You should have cancelled earlier.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)