Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Hole in the front yard - solve the mystery!

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:08 PM
  • 119 Replies

OK - so we have been battling some creature in our front yard.  It is in the area we have landscaped between our front porch and sidewalk to the front door.  It started out smaller, but seemed to get bigger with time.  At first I thought snake hole - but then the size increased over time.

Dh has flooded it with a hose, packed it in with dirt, etc...  (did this a few times).

The hole returns after a few days every time.  This time he went and bought some kind of pesticide. 

We suspect mole - but have no clue.  We had a mole years ago - but there is not "out" hole that we can find - only one entry/exit hole.

2 years ago we saw a coral snake in our backyard, so I am now skittish about the snake situation.

Either way - the hole wound up way too big to be a snake, I THINK...

Any ideas???

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Correction!  Dh bought something that is called "All Critter" - so it is a multi-animal pesticide...

I feel bad - but we tried to get rid of it without killing it!  It wouldn't take the hint! 

amonkeymom
by Amy on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM

It sounds like a mole or prairie dog or something along those lines.  I hope the pesticide does the trick.

hplesha
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:13 PM
We have a groundhog in our yard. He doesn't harm anything and runs when he hears anything at all. We also have prairie dogs, moles, I've seen a beaver a few times...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Sounds like a mole.  We never did get rid of the one we had at our old house before we moved.  Good luck!

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Moles eat grubs. A pesticide would only help if it kills the food source and your friend will move on.
Bmama1
by Bernadette on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:31 PM
I have no clue. Lol. Hope you figure it out.
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Last time the mole poison killed him off... Not sure how it works. I left it up to dh!!!

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Moles eat grubs. A pesticide would only help if it kills the food source and your friend will move on.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Me too!!! Lol!!!

Quoting Bmama1:

I have no clue. Lol. Hope you figure it out.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:45 PM
The mole we had in our backyard did a NUMBER on the grass... But it left a series of holes... This is just one hole, so I am perplexed! I wish I had a little night vision camera to set up to see what the heck it is!

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

Sounds like a mole.  We never did get rid of the one we had at our old house before we moved.  Good luck!

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:46 PM
If there was no harm I'd be more ok, but it is killing the landscaping in that area...

Just curious - where do you live that has moles, prairie dogs and beavers?

Quoting hplesha:

We have a groundhog in our yard. He doesn't harm anything and runs when he hears anything at all. We also have prairie dogs, moles, I've seen a beaver a few times...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN