Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Hole in the front yard - solve the mystery!

Posted by   + Show Post

OK - so we have been battling some creature in our front yard.  It is in the area we have landscaped between our front porch and sidewalk to the front door.  It started out smaller, but seemed to get bigger with time.  At first I thought snake hole - but then the size increased over time.

Dh has flooded it with a hose, packed it in with dirt, etc...  (did this a few times).

The hole returns after a few days every time.  This time he went and bought some kind of pesticide. 

We suspect mole - but have no clue.  We had a mole years ago - but there is not "out" hole that we can find - only one entry/exit hole.

2 years ago we saw a coral snake in our backyard, so I am now skittish about the snake situation.

Either way - the hole wound up way too big to be a snake, I THINK...

Any ideas???

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Replies (111-119):
lkane81
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Gl or you could get a cat :)

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I'll try anything at this point!

Quoting lkane81:

That would work heck it doesnt hurt to try. I remeber watching a movie about how they restored the football fiels and went ri rhe barber and got all his hir clippings and they spread them over rhe field. I justwish i remeber what movie it was.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Heck - I've got a hairbrush I can clean out!!!!

Quoting lkane81:

Im thinking if mole or gopher. We always have a problem with those. And i never know where the other hole is. Luckily i have a cat that take care of them. I have heard that human hair placed inside the hole works in getting rid of them. Not sure if it really does but hey it might be worth a try. If ur getting a air cut.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Lol - dh would kill me - although the neighbors DO have an outdoor cat that hans in our yard a lot. One night he was "staking" the hole out - but I guess he never found it...

Quoting lkane81:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting lkane81:

That would work heck it doesnt hurt to try. I remeber watching a movie about how they restored the football fiels and went ri rhe barber and got all his hir clippings and they spread them over rhe field. I justwish i remeber what movie it was.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting lkane81:

Im thinking if mole or gopher. We always have a problem with those. And i never know where the other hole is. Luckily i have a cat that take care of them. I have heard that human hair placed inside the hole works in getting rid of them. Not sure if it really does but hey it might be worth a try. If ur getting a air cut.

lkane81
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Well now that you got poison done i wouldnt let the cat around for a while. But after that let him in the yard it will help

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Lol - dh would kill me - although the neighbors DO have an outdoor cat that hans in our yard a lot. One night he was "staking" the hole out - but I guess he never found it...

Quoting lkane81:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting lkane81:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting lkane81:

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Well - their cat kind of has constant free reign - as our yard is not fenced in front and they never put him indoors. :(

Quoting lkane81:

Well now that you got poison done i wouldnt let the cat around for a while. But after that let him in the yard it will help

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting lkane81:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting lkane81:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting lkane81:

lkane81
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Ah well i guess its their loss if the cat eats it course most just kill not eat.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Well - their cat kind of has constant free reign - as our yard is not fenced in front and they never put him indoors. :(

Quoting lkane81:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting lkane81:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting lkane81:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting lkane81:

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM
I hope so. We really tried to avoid poison... But we ran out of options!!!

Quoting lkane81:

Ah well i guess its their loss if the cat eats it course most just kill not eat.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting lkane81:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting lkane81:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting lkane81:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting lkane81:

lkane81
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Well u gotta do what you gotta do. Might let the neighbor know tho. Just in case. Its a risk you take if u have an outside cat. My cat comes in when she wants to eat and at nite but if she doesnt u kinda worry but its a risk. I love her but theres no way i could keep her in. I tried and she drove us nuts started to get mean an the minute we opened the door she was ready to bolt. So after three days one of the kids opened and she ran. O well. Some cat just love being outside.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I hope so. We really tried to avoid poison... But we ran out of options!!!

Quoting lkane81:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting lkane81:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting lkane81:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting lkane81:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting lkane81:

calimom1123
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Sounds like squirrels to me. We had a big issue with those guys digging all over our yard! We would see them out sometimes so we knew it was them. They made huge holes! My neighbor finally got poison and put it in a pipe with a joint big enough for them to go in but too small for their dog to fit. Within a few months there was no more problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Quoting calimom1123:

Sounds like squirrels to me. We had a big issue with those guys digging all over our yard! We would see them out sometimes so we knew it was them. They made huge holes! My neighbor finally got poison and put it in a pipe with a joint big enough for them to go in but too small for their dog to fit. Within a few months there was no more problem.

It could be!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN