Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Let's have a discussion...

Do you think it is bad to smoke marijuana around children? What age do you think is appropriate to smoke around them? Would you ever have the "marijuana" talk with your kids or introduce them to marijuana? Would you be upset if your kid(s) starting smoking marijuana?

Do you smoke marijuana? How often?

I'm not posting this because I smoke just curious as to how others feel about it. I personally don't mind if others smoke just not around my son.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
Nichole0403
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:04 PM
I don't smoke but a lot of my family does. I even have an uncle who legally grows it. Never would I allow someone to smoke it or even cigarettes around my kids. When my boys get bigger I honestly hope they will stay away and I will never be okay with them smoking, granted I wouldn't disown them or anything like that. It's going to be hard to keep them away from it now that it's legal though, which is complete crap
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemoments99
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:12 PM

That's fine, but it's still an immature thing. You don't need it. You can do other things to do to relax. 

The reason I have this strong opinion is really because of what I saw as a kid. It's kind of personal, but it's really sad. One thing I can share is about two kids. One was an older sibling of one friend, the other was an older sibling of another friend. Both started on marijuana as a fun thing to do with friends. One of their friends got them to try another drug and eventually after a few years both of those kids died. One died when they were 18 the other when they were about 25. That's was really hard for me and my friends. That was from starting on marijuana. That introduced them. It showed them that doing drugs wasn't so bad. It can't hurt you. It's a terrible thing to let kids think is okay. That's only part of why I have my opinion on drugs in general. They all have the capability of hurting you or someone you know. 

Quoting NoahsMommy10412:

Not all people who smoke party. I'm friends with a lot of people who smoke and none of them party. My boyfriend smokes (not around the kid) and still has a job, takes care of our son and me, and would live to go do things with me like bowling, walking, watch tv, go to the movies, etc. I don't see it as a bad thing. We do live in Washington where it is legal now. I don't see how it's a "drug". All it does is relax you and sometimes make you eat. I don't know anybody who smokes weed and then decided to do other drugs like meth, herion, speed, ecstasy, crack, cocaine, etc. My family smokes as well and none of them are lazy. My sister goes to work and takes care of her two boys, my uncle works and takes care of his son, my grandma tends to her garden and used to take care of both my grandpa and great grandma. None of these people do anything else but smoke marijuana and they can function just fine.

Quoting littlemoments99:

I think people who smoke marijuana are immature. It just seems like a college thing to do. I don't get it. 

My kids will not do any drugs. I will teach them why they are bad...all of them, even marijuana. I am not friends with people who smoke marijauna and so they will not be around my kids. The people who smoke marijuana are usually party people and those are not the type of people I want to be around. I would much rather play a card or board game and have fun doing that. Or have a marathon of your favorite movies/tv show. Or even go do something, bowling, lazertag, something. You can do so many other things than smoke something. I'm sorry if this sounds a little mean. I just get annoyed with this topic. I hate that people are so relaxed about a drug. It's a drug. Drugs should only be used for people who are sick. It should not be thought of as something fun to do. 

CharlotteRose
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM

i do believe smoking pot in front of children is a huge no no, i don't smoke it but i do know ppl that do and they will wait for their kids to go to bed and smoke outside....

ruggedchick
by New Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM

My very first CafeMom post! I wouldn't smoke anything around my children. I don't smoke marijuana, but if I did, I wouldn't want them to know about it. Whether or not it should be, it IS still illegal in my state.

I probably would be upset if my child started smoking marijuana or cigarettes. I'm an ex-smoker (cigs) so I used to think I'd have a relaxed attitude if I caught my teen smoking, but then my dad (my hero and best friend) died of lung cancer. He was "only" a social smoker. So now I feel like I would freak out if I caught my son smoking anything. Luckily he's only 3, so I shouldn't have to worry about it for awhile!

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Yes, like alcohol consumption.... An adult recreational activity.

Quoting Lindalou907:

I see it as an adult activity, I don't think any kind of smoke is good for anyone, it should always be done outdoors. I don't smoke, I tried it for my insomnia, didn't work at ALL. The people that I know that smoke a lot seem to have lost a lot of their ambition, maybe brains too, it's hard to say. But I do discourage my kids from smoking.

Bmama1
by Bernadette on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM
4 moms liked this
Like I said, I'm in colorado where it is legal. It should be legal everywhere. It is a lot less dangerous than things that ARE legal like cigs and alcohol.

Bmama1
by Bernadette on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Also, I know a lot of people who use marijuana and not one person who does heroin, meth or coke. So in most cases, it does not act as a gateway drug.
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:54 PM
I don't smoke and would not do so, as doing that would put my professional teaching certificate on the line.

I would also not ever smoke in front of my children.
EireLass
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I stopped smoking a couple years after getting married, realizing we were going to have kids. For 21 years I did not smoke MJ or drink any alcohol. Both impair you, and regardless of who is caring for your child at any given moment, you are 100% of the time.

Now zoom ahead, my kids are 33 & 30, and I started smoking about 6-7 years ago. I am disabled. I am on 6 prescriptions/day. They have reached their max potential. My doctor is working on getting my medical card. It's medically legal in my state. I won't smoke it though. I will use and energizing strain as oil under my tongue during the day, and a muscle relaxing food substance in the evening.

Prior to, I have always held a very responsible, and professional position. Most of the people I know that smoke with any regularity....recreational smokers, are professionals. 2 of my doctors, 3 of my attorneys, etc etc. It has not put a negative spin on their profession at all.

I have smoked with 2 of my kids. I have never smoked to 'get stoned'. I use it the same way I use my meds. My meds don't get me stoned either.

I do not drink alcohol.

lisahappymom
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:10 AM

No, absolutely not.  I don't think it's okay to use marijuana around children. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)