Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

I need some ideas please ladies! **Sorry it's so long!**

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM
  • 93 Replies

Okay.  So, as you know our 4 year old son Kaden is home from foster care now.  YAY!!  Anyway, when we eat breakfast, lunch and dinner he does not want to eat much at all.  The lady that had him *even though I say "lady" very loosely* said that his favorite meal now is mac n cheese and hot dogs.  So okay.  The first night he was home we made him that and he freaked out.  Literally freaked out.  He screamed and kept saying "No, no, no, NO!" over and over again and well...let's just say he didn't want to eat it.  He ended up eating some chicken Top Ramen, but only a few bites before he was "all done". When we got him ready for bed that night, we noticed that he is very, VERY skinny.  I mean...REALLY skinny.  So I put him on our scale and he weighs 20 lbs.   20 lbs!  He weighed 38 lbs when he left.  When I brought up his weight to our family doctor on Wednesday, she was concerned, but told us to continue to try to offer his favorite foods, which we have done.  

He isn't really too fond of chicken, garlic mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, garlic butter green beans, corn on the cob, pork chops, steak, mac n cheese, salad, pastas, tomatoes, spaghetti, tuna casserole, broccoli, beef stroganoff, pizza, tacos etc...which used to be all of his favorite dinner foods.  He doesn't like his favorite cereal, bananas, oranges, grapefruit, pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, eggs, hashbrowns, or toast..all of his favorite breakfast foods.  He has eaten ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch.  He doesn't like any kind of chips or crackers anymore, and won't eat cheese sticks, carrots and ranch,  broccoli and ranch or any other of his favorite snack foods.  He doesn't like milk, chocolate milk, water, flavored water *like Crystal Light* or many juices.  The only kind of drink he will drink is orange Gatorade.   We bought a 6 pack of Pediasure on our doctor's suggestion and he won't even drink that.  He does not like peanut butter, or apple butter.  He won't touch any kind of jelly or Nutella either.

He has been loving chocolate and cookies.   That's been his desserts this week.  A couple Hershey Kisses one evening, and a cookie the next.  Thursday evening we had cupcakes that our daughter Angel brought.  He liked the one he had too. 

We are at a loss here.  We don't know what to offer now.  We have offered him all of the meals that used to be his favorites, and he refuses them.  When we asked our oldest 2 daughters who were living across the street from him what he was eating and drinking over at the lady's house they said "Not much of anything other than McDonald's, Taco Bell and junk food." :/

Obviously feeding him that kind of stuff is not an option.  We maybe have McDonald's once every couple of months for a treat when all the kids have been here.  We don't want to feed him junk food all the time.  He is home now and we would like for him to eat regular food like he used to like. We don't want him dependant on junk food to get by, apparently junk food is not helping him gain weight either, so...

We would like him to eat like he used to eat and gain weight.  But he is very resistant to this.

Ladies...do you have any suggestions?  Other than just give him time, which is another thing our doctor said.  We are positive that in time he will get back to eating like he used to, but we need meal and snack suggestions for now until he gets back to eating like he used to.  

Thank you for any suggestions in advance!  

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Thats so sad. Maybe ease him back to his favorites? Bell and Evans makes a nice chicken nuggets and it has no hormones, etc. I can't even imagine what you are going through.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM
4 moms liked this

This child needs a doctor, and a psychiatrist, in that order.  My ONE YEAR OLD granddaughter weighs 22 lbs.  And this child's refusal to eat ANYTHING could be caused by a physical illness, abuse, PTSD, an attempt to control his surroundings somewhat--any number of things.  Don't waste time on THIS.  Go to the doctor.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

That's what we are trying to do.  Tonight he ate a little bit of beef stroganoff and some green beans, which was really good for him.  I don't think that I've seen Bell and Evans around here.  Is it a restaurant or a grocery store item?  

Thank you for your advice.  We are trying the best we can at the moment :) 

Quoting calsmom62:

Thats so sad. Maybe ease him back to his favorites? Bell and Evans makes a nice chicken nuggets and it has no hormones, etc. I can't even imagine what you are going through.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Hi.  We have a family doctor, and there is no need for a psychiatrist considering he can't talk very well.  He's been in speech therapy for a couple years.  Anyway, he along with our daughters have been in foster care unnecessarily for 11 months.  We just got him back February 8th, and our girls will be home no later than April 1st.  The lady he was with did not feed him well at all, and he lost 18 lbs while he was in her "care".  We have already been to the family doctor, this past Wednesday, and what she said I put in my OP.  Trust me, we aren't "wasting time".

Thank you for your advice.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

This child needs a doctor, and a psychiatrist, in that order.  My ONE YEAR OLD granddaughter weighs 22 lbs.  And this child's refusal to eat ANYTHING could be caused by a physical illness, abuse, PTSD, an attempt to control his surroundings somewhat--any number of things.  Don't waste time on THIS.  Go to the doctor.

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Bell and Evans is a brand of meat that is available at grocery stores including whole foods(whole paycheck lol)

Quoting Kmakksmom:

That's what we are trying to do.  Tonight he ate a little bit of beef stroganoff and some green beans, which was really good for him.  I don't think that I've seen Bell and Evans around here.  Is it a restaurant or a grocery store item?  

Quoting calsmom62:

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Ah.  We don't have a Whole Foods here.  We have Walmart, Fred Meyer, Yoke's Fresh Market, Albertson's, Safeway, Winco, and Fiesta Foods.  I've heard Whole Foods is pretty awesome.  I'll have to look for that brand of meat when we go grocery shopping.

Quoting calsmom62:

Bell and Evans is a brand of meat that is available at grocery stores including whole foods(whole paycheck lol)

Quoting Kmakksmom:

Quoting calsmom62:

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I shopped fiesta when i was in houston. I remember being amazed at the produce. ill keep your family in my prayers. Poor liittle boy for what he's been through, and glad he us home!!
lisahappymom
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Fresh fruits like berries are usually a big hit with our kids.  Maybe he's craving the calories that desserts offer.  So how about offering high calorie healthy foods like avocado and non-processed cheese?

lisahappymom
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:11 PM

P.S.  Good luck in all your efforts!  I am wishing you and him well! 

Quoting lisahappymom:

Fresh fruits like berries are usually a big hit with our kids.  Maybe he's craving the calories that desserts offer.  So how about offering high calorie healthy foods like avocado and non-processed cheese?

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Yep, we like shopping there on occasion.  Thank you for your prayers.  They are very appreciated.  I'm sure in time Kaden will be putting on the weight he needs to since he's home now.  It's just sad that this woman made him lose so much weight.  She was supposed to be taking good care of him. :(

Quoting calsmom62:

I shopped fiesta when i was in houston. I remember being amazed at the produce. ill keep your family in my prayers. Poor liittle boy for what he's been through, and glad he us home!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN