Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

cable vs no cable and bundling

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM
  • 17 Replies
We have Verizon fios , bundled with cable and phone. We have no need for phone, but after switching from rcn and going to fios, dh added landline again. This was about 18 mos ago. We have 2 boxes, 1 with DVR. We have
15mbs internet. No premium channels but we are on the HD package, on their middle tier.we pay about 140 a month. ..I would like to get only internet, and maybe do hulu or netflix, but dh is worried about sports , business and international news.
Any one use hulu or netflix exclusive of cable??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Half of what you wrote didn't make sense, or wasn't in English, so I am just answering the question.

Hulu will NOT allow you to view same-season cable offerings, or certain other popular shows, on a TV with internet access, likeVieracast.  You can only watch on a desktop or other device.  If you want your family to gather 'round the 'puter instead of the TV, go for it. 

Net flix is even worse.  NO current TV shows, & few current movies on the basic pgk.  First run and 3D movies are only available with the upgrade, & still need to be mailed. 

Neither Hulu nor Netflix broadcast sports or current news.

LML1
by Kristy on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Luckily my husband works for a cable company and gets a employee discount. I know it's expensive. You could always just get internet and stream to tv shows and what have you from your PC to your TV.

christinarb
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Actually i think Netflix is great.. U can always have newer movies shipped to your house they have alot of shows and movies and get updated id say the only down side is that it doesnt show live tv.. Bcuz its not live, its for movies and tv shows but if u get Netflix u wont be disappointed
AlyssaN
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this
We have Netflix streaming so its on tv and only use Comcast for Internet. I like having Netflix. I only miss food network. And ncis is the only tv show I like so I hook the laptop to the tv and watch it the day after it airs. We only pay $70 a month between Internet and Netflix. Easier to monitor what the kids watch too.
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Thanks. Sorry, I thought I fixed all of the auto correct foibles.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Half of what you wrote didn't make sense, or wasn't in English, so I am just answering the question.

Hulu will NOT allow you to view same-season cable offerings, or certain other popular shows, on a TV with internet access, likeVieracast.  You can only watch on a desktop or other device.  If you want your family to gather 'round the 'puter instead of the TV, go for it. 

Net flix is even worse.  NO current TV shows, & few current movies on the basic pgk.  First run and 3D movies are only available with the upgrade, & still need to be mailed. 

Neither Hulu nor Netflix broadcast sports or current news.

styler7
by New Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this
We only use Netflix, Xbox live for sports, and roku.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:48 PM
How does xbox live work for sports?

Quoting styler7:

We only use Netflix, Xbox live for sports, and roku.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this
We have Netflix for movies and tv shows *they get shows by season a couple months after the season ends* and Hulu Plus for the current tv shows that we watch. We like both. We used to be able to watch sports via Xbox Live, but they've changed it so now you have to have a cable or satellite provider to get most of the sports shown on there. If we want current news, we read or watch it on the internet.
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:04 AM
We don't really follow any tv series, so I think access to even last season's shows would be ok..as long as we could stream movies. The sports worry me, but I guess if we had HD antennae we could get local air channels which carry local news and sports. I'm assuming other news outlets stream their broadcasts.
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Thanks! I sill have to explore what's available to see for news and sports then make the call. I wonder if ds4 can live without watching .Victorious..he likes Tori vega lol. ....

Quoting Kmakksmom:

We have Netflix for movies and tv shows *they get shows by season a couple months after the season ends* and Hulu Plus for the current tv shows that we watch. We like both. We used to be able to watch sports via Xbox Live, but they've changed it so now you have to have a cable or satellite provider to get most of the sports shown on there. If we want current news, we read or watch it on the internet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN