Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

My kid EATS, ALOT!

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM
  • 8 Replies

I took my (newly adopted) 3 boys to out to eat a couple days ago. We normally eat in and try to be healthy about what we eat but they begged for McDonalds so we went out for a treat. My 6 year old amazed me at the amount he consumed. He ate more than I ever could. By the time we left he had eated 3 McDoubles, a large fry, half his brothers small fry, 2 applie pies and a medium Hi-C drink. He ALWAYS asks for food at home. Always wanting snacks and anything he can get his hands on and says that his belly never feels full. I talked to some of my mother friends and they say that it is normal for growing kids to eat a lot, growth spurts and such but he eats A LOT of food. He never seems to gain any weight though. I dont know if this is normal or something he should be checked out for.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Bmama1
by Bernadette on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Is he very active?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jbradford
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM
If he isn't gaining unhealthy weight and eats fairly healthy, then his body just needs more right now. Encourage self control but let him eat more if he is asking for it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Iadopted3
by New Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Yea, he is active. They play outside when weather permits but hes not super active. There are nights he will eat 3 whole helpings, plate fulls of food. He constantly eat from the time he gets home from school until its time for bed. Hes always asking for more and normally eats all the leftovers from meals until there just isnt any left to eat. I have no other children and I am new at this mommy stuff but this strikes me as a little odd..

Lovemyshadows
by Carol on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM

If it strikes you as odd then take him to the Dr.  You know him better than anyone else.

sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Take him to the Dr.  He could be having a growth spurt, OR he could be OCD, he could have psychiatric problems centering around food, he could have a tapeworm, he could have an endocrine imbalance... 

lazyd
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Your son could have a high metabolism.  Or there is a "disease" out there (dont know the name of it), where people are constantly hungry and their stomach never feels full and there "off" switch is "broken".  Go to the doctor and look it up.  Have the doc check all the kids to see that they are in the "normal" height and weight range for their age.  Try to get as much info you can on the biological side about mother and father that you can.  Maybe there is a history of a "disease" or shortness or tallness that runs in the family.  Or, if a child has been in an abusive situation where food was withheld as a punishment, than he could be "hording" cuz he doesnt know when he may get another meal.  

MrsShipley21
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:05 AM

As long as your keeping them active ^_^ I would never deprive my children food. They eat a lot and they are very active.

ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:14 AM
I agree. Iadopted3: I read another post of yours where you said the boys were being abused. And that food was withheld. That could be why he is eating so much. He is not sure if he will get another meal. I dont remember if you said they were in therapy. It would be a good idea if they are not at this time.

Quoting lazyd:

Your son could have a high metabolism.  Or there is a "disease" out there (dont know the name of it), where people are constantly hungry and their stomach never feels full and there "off" switch is "broken".  Go to the doctor and look it up.  Have the doc check all the kids to see that they are in the "normal" height and weight range for their age.  Try to get as much info you can on the biological side about mother and father that you can.  Maybe there is a history of a "disease" or shortness or tallness that runs in the family.  Or, if a child has been in an abusive situation where food was withheld as a punishment, than he could be "hording" cuz he doesnt know when he may get another meal.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)