Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

A Baby shower for my sister-in-law

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hi,

We are planing a baby shower for my sister-in-law the sunday  of April 13th 2013 and I lost my Son Christopher on April 12th 2012 what to do it will be a hard time and I told me sister that is a bad time for me My sister,Mom and my sister-in-law's sister  and I are hosting the baby shower and her family will be in town for my sister-in-law niece birthday party so they thought that would be a good time.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snharden44
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM
I am so sorry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bmama1
by Bernadette on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:02 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. Hugs. :-(
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I'm sorry {{HUGS}}

lazyd
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Please dont get me wrong if i cant post what i have to say correctly.  Hole up on april 12th and cry your heart out for the loss of your son and than on april 13th, celebrate the joy of another life for your families sake and be happy for your SIL for a day.  I know it will be hard and there is never any "moving on" as people will want you to do.  But will not celebrating the joy of your SIL's baby make you feel any better?  You are not going to feel "good" either way, so maybe for a day, you can "try" to celebrate a life?  (im not tryin to be harsh here).

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I'm so sorry about your baby. If it's really too painful I imagine they would understand if you didn't attend. Why don't you just wait and see how you're feeling that day?

EarlGrayHot
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Tough call.  But this is something you will always have to confront.  Perhaps you should consider going anyway and trying to be happy for your SIL despite your own heartache. 

MJP76
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I wouldn't have agreed to host it, if it was a bad time for you....

im sorry, that sucks.

beckolette
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM

The timing sucks for family to be visiting but it is a good time to do the shower. Excuse yourself from things you don't feel like doing and even if it is a last second back out. Everyone should understand. Those who don't, just don't and won't ever get it. 

Go talk to your Mom. Tell her how aprehensive you are feeling about this. Being the Grandmother she should have the same feelings. You may feel like not getting so excited about the party because of the date. Your Mom should understand and be sympathetic to this. Be there for the party, but I wouldn't promise to help with anything the last few days before the party. That's your time to grieve and the rest of the family should be understanding. 

Loss is a process that takes time. No two people are affected the same way. You will always have the heavy heart during this time and it is Ok to feel so. 

bigmama423
by Liz on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Sorry for your loss.
I say you do whatever you're comfortable with. Whether that's staying home or going. If you do not go, your family should understand.
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:59 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss...

Follow your heart and take care if yourself!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)