Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Two steps forward, and one step back.

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:39 AM
  • 16 Replies
Our LO was BF'd for the first year, then due to endocrine issues my milk dried up. So we switched to formula.

She's 21 months now, and we've been talking about getting her off the bottle for months. So, at the risk of losing sleep and sanity, I reduced her bottle at naps and bedtime by an ounce every other night, until we were down to 4. Then, she got the flu and because she would vomit the milk up, we just stopped giving her any. My husband got her a pacifier.

Anyway, so she's over the flu now, but every night for the past 3 nights she wakes up at about midnight and is WIDE awake until around 3:00. DH can't bear to hear her unhappy, so he goes and gets her, and puts her in bed with us.

Well, tomorrow he has a big meeting and MUST get some sleep. So he nagged me into giving her a bottle AND the pacifier.

Have we totally trashed ourselves? Do I have to start again by reducing ounces? Or tomorrow, do I just put her to bed with no paci and no bottle?

I'd love to hear how other folks dealt with the removal of bottles and pacifiers. I TRULY thought I had washed my last bottle!! Ugh.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ATL958
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:45 AM
Bump
Bmama1
by Bernadette on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM
My kids were ok with me taking away bottles. They were excited to start using a sippy cup.

Only my oldest used a pacifier and THAT was a lot harder to get rid of. I just stopped giving it to him and he eventually forgot about it. I wish I had good advice.
ATL958
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM
LOL, thanks.

A friend told me to not take away the pacifier, but instead poke a hole in it. Then she won't be able to create the suction and just won't want it.

I just dread tonight.

Quoting Bmama1:

My kids were ok with me taking away bottles. They were excited to start using a sippy cup.

Only my oldest used a pacifier and THAT was a lot harder to get rid of. I just stopped giving it to him and he eventually forgot about it. I wish I had good advice.

EarlGrayHot
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I stopped breastfeeding my daughter on her first brithday. Sometime during that first year the child should be introduced to solid food-cereal-and then on to solid food after breast/bottle feeding is done. At 21 months the kid doesn't need more bottle feeding unless it's juice so buck up and get her diet back on track with solid food. Ask your pediatrician for recommendations. As for the waking up in the middle of the night-your husband has created this problem by positively reinforcing her by getting her out of bed when she cries. She will be fine if you just leave her in bed. STOP going in there or you'll always have trouble with her sleeping through the night. It doesn't make you bad parents to let her get back to sleep on her own; in fact, you're doing her a favor to allow her to go back to sleep without your intervention.

ATL958
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Oh, she eats solid food just fine - whatever we're eating - 3 solid meals & 2 snacks a day.

The bottle isn't about nutrition at this point, but rather breaking a habit and taking away something that is comfort to her.

And doing it with as little drama as possible.

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

I stopped breastfeeding my daughter on her first brithday. Sometime during that first year the child should be introduced to solid food-cereal-and then on to solid food after breast/bottle feeding is done. At 21 months the kid doesn't need more bottle feeding unless it's juice so buck up and get her diet back on track with solid food. Ask your pediatrician for recommendations. As for the waking up in the middle of the night-your husband has created this problem by positively reinforcing her by getting her out of bed when she cries. She will be fine if you just leave her in bed. STOP going in there or you'll always have trouble with her sleeping through the night. It doesn't make you bad parents to let her get back to sleep on her own; in fact, you're doing her a favor to allow her to go back to sleep without your intervention.

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I nursed all but one till they were 3, but we didn't give bottles after around 8 mnths, just sippy cups, and the same with pacis, they just disappeared. With one we did the bye bye pacifier you are a big kid send off ceremony, he was around 14 mos, And had found one in the bottom of the toybox and started to regress.
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Good idea about the hole!!!

Quoting ATL958:

LOL, thanks.

A friend told me to not take away the pacifier, but instead poke a hole in it. Then she won't be able to create the suction and just won't want it.

I just dread tonight.

Quoting Bmama1:

ATL958
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Thanks for sharing. Yes, it's the regression that I'm worried about.

She's playing in the tub now, and we'll go from there to reading and bed. No bottle and no paci.

I'm hoping for a quiet night.

Quoting calsmom62:

I nursed all but one till they were 3, but we didn't give bottles after around 8 mnths, just sippy cups, and the same with pacis, they just disappeared. With one we did the bye bye pacifier you are a big kid send off ceremony, he was around 14 mos, And had found one in the bottom of the toybox and started to regress.

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Good luck, Mom!

Quoting ATL958:

Thanks for sharing. Yes, it's the regression that I'm worried about.

She's playing in the tub now, and we'll go from there to reading and bed. No bottle and no paci.

I'm hoping for a quiet night.

Quoting calsmom62:

Thelmama
by Thelma on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I just did it cold turkey......it was hard for a few days but it worked.  Hugs. Hang in there Mama.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)