Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

SAHM's!!! I need some advice ..

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:38 AM
  • 38 Replies

for those of you Ladies who (right now) depend on your DH's income (if you don't then this doesn't apply to you)

what do you do about your DH for birthdays and holidays? I'm currently looking and applying for jobs to start making some extra cash.. but his birthday is march 12 and I really want to get him a little something for his birthday..

so, my question is, what do you ladies do about holidays and birthdays for your DH when you aren't working? do you find ways to make extra money?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mewebb82
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:48 AM

We always have a set budget for what we can spend on each other. 

loveTHEviking
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I have a change jar that I put change in & it adds up quickly so whenever I need cash I just cash in my change. I also take clothes that I don't wear to consignment shops & sell them. If I don't have any money I will just make him a nice dinner & a homemade card :). As far as Christmas goes we don't exchange gifts, we just buy the kids gifts & if we do it's usually something that both of us want or we go on a weekend getaway lol.

sjenkins8208
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM
I have my own debit card. I just use it to buy what I want when I want. My dh has been on a spending kick the past three years. Last year he bought a new toy a few days after mothers day...instead of getting upset I just said happy fathers day lol. I tend to let his spending slide and call it a gift from me.
jellybeanjean
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:02 AM
We both have budgets for our personal spending cash. So I would just use that money. Although right now I am Making money of my own too...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtriciax
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

i have my own debit card attached to the account i also handle the finances. make sure bills are paid and hubby comes to me to make sure there is money folr whatever he is about to spend. so i just buy it on the card since i handle the finances. 

krn210
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:07 AM

This is how it is in our household too. I do however, sell my unwanted clothes at consignment stores and save change. :-)

Quoting xtriciax:

i have my own debit card attached to the account i also handle the finances. make sure bills are paid and hubby comes to me to make sure there is money folr whatever he is about to spend. so i just buy it on the card since i handle the finances. 

xtriciax
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:10 AM

yea i just sold all of dd's baby clothes made about 300 but just put it into the account. i never end up spending money on myself. kinda annoying sometimes. like for vday we went handgun shopping for me and it turned into shotgun shopping for hubby :/  i need a counselor or something to teach me to be able to spend more on myself and be ok with that lol

Quoting krn210:

This is how it is in our household too. I do however, sell my unwanted clothes at consignment stores and save change. :-)

Quoting xtriciax:

KatieKramer94
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM

we don't have joint bank accounts. I have my own. He usually keeps me in the dark about money.. and I hate asking him for it. Idk, my guy is weird lol

Quoting xtriciax:

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
krn210
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I feel guilty spending money on myself too. Whenever I do spend money on myself I have buyers remorse, unless I get an amazing deal. ;-) 

Quoting xtriciax:

yea i just sold all of dd's baby clothes made about 300 but just put it into the account. i never end up spending money on myself. kinda annoying sometimes. like for vday we went handgun shopping for me and it turned into shotgun shopping for hubby :/  i need a counselor or something to teach me to be able to spend more on myself and be ok with that lol

Quoting krn210:

Quoting xtriciax:

xtriciax
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM

o yea then idk... we do joint everything and when i start working and school it will still be that way. i guess we view it as we are joint and a team and not right that one person gets to spend more money just because they make more. especially with a sahm. hope he gives you some money like a paycheck because yall dont have to pay child care cost. 

Quoting KatieKramer94:

we don't have joint bank accounts. I have my own. He usually keeps me in the dark about money.. and I hate asking him for it. Idk, my guy is weird lol

Quoting xtriciax:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN