Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

I refuse to feed my 2 year old niece when she stays over at my house. Edit Edit again

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:32 PM
  • 133 Replies

Okay she came over this weekend and here's how it went.I bought her some gerber cheese puffs with whole grain and some dehydrated yogurt bites and fruit and vegetable bites. She ate them all!!!  She was on a sippy cup with watered apple juice all day :-) 6yo dd brushed her teeth at night, she wouldn't let me do it,lol. But she went to bed at 10:30, slept all night (but she still had a milk bottle :-( All in all, I think there might be hope for her yet!

Does anybody have any food ideas for a picky 2yo? Also, she's on a bottle all day, goes to bed about 1am and won't sleep without a milk bottle and a movie. I'd like to get her on a sippy cup, any advice on what kind a bottle fed kid might like? And how can I get her to sleep a little earlier preferably without a movie? Help!!!!

It sounds terrible but it's true.

This child has the worst diet I have ever seen. She lives off of snack cakes, chips, fruit snacks, cookies, pizza and raman noodles. She is on a bottle day and night, her poor teeth are rotting and she's overweight. I feel so bad for her :-(

Lately she's been coming to my house for visits and overnights. I asked her mom what I should feed her and was given the list above. I laughed and said there's no way! Then her mom said that if you don't feed her that she won't eat anything at all She's worried about her starving herself so she feeds her whatever she'll eat.

I'm sorry, I've raised 3 2 year olds, and babysat quite a few. When they're hungry, they will eat. So now when she comes over I offer PB&J sandwiches, scrambled eggs, apple slices, bottle water and whatever we happen to be eating that night. So far she hasn't eaten yet ( babysat two different days and one overnighter) but I'm holding out hope that she'll give in one of these days,lol.

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bigmama423
by Liz on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM
That's too bad!! I've got picky kids, but nothing to that extent..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

She's that bad because that's all she was given to eat. Mom and dad just wanted her to be quiet so they gave her sweets and movies All Day Long...

Quoting bigmama423:

That's too bad!! I've got picky kids, but nothing to that extent..

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:36 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't know about time out but when my kids were that age, I would make the food and if they didn't want to eat it I'd leave it on the table. If they got hungry enough they'd come by and eat it.

I wouldn't give in and feed them candy instead.

Quoting littlemoments99:

That's terrible. She's 2? Her parents need to put her on time out if she won't eat healthy. Don't they get that they are hurting her health. They are setting her up to become sick in some way. 

I know you probably can't do this but if I were her mom and dad I would say if you don't eat your sandwich you are going on time out. I would keep putting her on time out for 2 minutes until she ate. Or maybe start with taking one bite, then up it to two bites. Then maybe half the sandwich. I mean...it's not that hard to make a kid listen to you. 

2 year old's are at such an easy age to train. They will fight you to the death but they will give in eventually. Adults should be able to be stronger willed than kids. I just really don't like passive parenting. Kids don't know how to raise themselves!!!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

littlemoments99
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

That's probably the better way to go. My child is too little to start complaining about what they are eating.  :)

I just know time out's work!  :)

Quoting paganbaby:

I don't know about time out but when my kids were that age, I would make the food and if they didn't want to eat it I'd leave it on the table. If they got hungry enough they'd come by and eat it.

I wouldn't give in and feed them candy instead.

Quoting littlemoments99:

That's terrible. She's 2? Her parents need to put her on time out if she won't eat healthy. Don't they get that they are hurting her health. They are setting her up to become sick in some way. 

I know you probably can't do this but if I were her mom and dad I would say if you don't eat your sandwich you are going on time out. I would keep putting her on time out for 2 minutes until she ate. Or maybe start with taking one bite, then up it to two bites. Then maybe half the sandwich. I mean...it's not that hard to make a kid listen to you. 

2 year old's are at such an easy age to train. They will fight you to the death but they will give in eventually. Adults should be able to be stronger willed than kids. I just really don't like passive parenting. Kids don't know how to raise themselves!!!

KRIZZ25
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
wow..well if mam wont change her eating ways than whats the use..
KRIZZ25
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:39 PM
dont make it a battle..say we are having this u can have some or not..and no bottles in my house.
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Maybe try offering her some healthy foods she does like? 

For example - my older one would never eat PB and J - but he would eat a PB sandwich.  My younger one will beg for oranges and "cuties".  In fact - he eats cuties like it is his job!

ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:44 PM
That is sad. She is going to have health problems down the road.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Can you take her with you to the grocery store and let her pick out some fresh fruits that she likes?

Texascandee
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know that a time out would be appropriate because she won't eat what you offer or cook.  I agree though, when they are hungry, they will eat.  I had that problem with my gs when he was little and he finally realized he wasn't getting candy or cookies as his dinner so he ate what I cooked.  Be strong mama and don't give in to the junk food to pacify her

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN