Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Lent???

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:21 PM
  • 26 Replies
Have any of you given up anything for Lent? How are you doing with it?

I have given up sweets, bread and pasta. It has been one week and I am having serious withdrawals from refined sugar. I haven't had withdrawals like this since I quit smoking.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:23 PM
2 moms liked this
I gave up yellow. I've done great!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SaGe_Ed
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM

I'm not Catholic and so don't do Lent.  How does it work exactly, do you only give these things up for the specified period of time?  Or will you attempt to continue your new habits after Lent is over?

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:38 PM
The 40 days before Easter. Starting on ash wemdesday. And you give up sowmthing really hard and you resume the practice after Easter or you can give it up Compeleltely. We do other things too like no red meat and things like that. But it's not only Catholics.

Quoting SaGe_Ed:

I'm not Catholic and so don't do Lent.  How does it work exactly, do you only give these things up for the specified period of time?  Or will you attempt to continue your new habits after Lent is over?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SaGe_Ed
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I'm sorry.  I grew up Baptist and am now Pagan, I always thought it was just Catholics.  My bad.  :)  Sounds hard tho. 

Quoting marchantmom06:

The 40 days before Easter. Starting on ash wemdesday. And you give up sowmthing really hard and you resume the practice after Easter or you can give it up Compeleltely. We do other things too like no red meat and things like that. But it's not only Catholics.

Quoting SaGe_Ed:

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Can you go answer my post in the group please, it's called pagan moms I have a question.

Quoting SaGe_Ed:

I'm sorry.  I grew up Baptist and am now Pagan, I always thought it was just Catholics.  My bad.  :)  Sounds hard tho. 

Quoting marchantmom06:

Quoting SaGe_Ed:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jbradford
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM
I'm not Catholic either. It is the 40 day period between ash Wednesday and Easter. Some people give something up, others sometimes do something extra. The idea is reflection and preparation for Christ death.

I might keep doing it afterward.
jbradford
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:03 AM
I try to make it hard so it has an impact on my personal growth. Im Presbyterian, I tend to use labels loosely because I get frustrated with fellow believers self justification and judgemental nature, that's not what Christ is about.

Quoting SaGe_Ed:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Quoting SaGe_Ed:

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:39 AM
Yikes - I would have a hard time giving that up as well!!!!!

sjump25
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I am not catholic, but if I had to give something up it would be sweets.  I have such a weakness for sweets!

Rocsi718
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm baptist and for lent I'm fasting from sun up to sun down

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN