Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Social kisses?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:06 PM
  • 14 Replies

Is anyone else as uncomfortable as I am when it comes to the social "air kiss" greeting? It is always so awkward for me. Which way do I lean so I don't bonk into them? One cheek or two? It feels so unnatural to me, my family was never touchy feely growing up. And I find that "mwah" sound sooo pretentious.
Last week my husbands company had a large fancy dinner party, and we had a wedding the next day. I wish a simple head nod, or even a hand shake was the norm. Tomorrow my husbands (large and very italian) extended family is getting together because some families from down south are up visiting. They are big on the hugging and kissing. My MIL and her 2 sisters have worn the same Revlon "Fire and Ice" lipstick since the 50s, and are always heavily perfumed. 9 times out of 10, my husband or I end up with a red set of lips on the cheek (and smelling like an italian aunt for the rest of the night!) I always try to push him in front of me when they swoop in for a hello, so he catches the brunt, hee hee.
Am I the only one that feels this way? Does anyone have a tip on avoiding this situation? Or do we just suck up and deal?

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Tell everyone you are just getting over a cold?

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Sorry, my family is more like yours and dh'
family more like your hubby's. I just greet them warmly and if they kiss, so be it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AveryHarper
by New Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Just start coughing as soon as they go near you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Sneeze at them..

lol I don't know, never had that problem. I do have an italian aunt that tries to smother everyone in her giant boobs though, even if she has to stand on tiptoes and yank you down a foot to get your face in there.

heavenlybliss19
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:55 PM

^^^rofl, just imagined watching that scenario play out!

idk... I give out quick pecks on the cheek to my mil, gramma, and mom... but no one else.  The air kiss always seemed odd to me, like you're tryin to kiss a ghost or somethin!

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:01 PM
I have never done an air kiss. The only people I am even comfortable kissing are my husband, kids, my mom and Grandmommy.
MrsShipley21
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM

There is a time and a place for everything. My husband and I will peck in public but never do we act all nasty.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:09 PM
I am not a fan of the air kiss...
ambcortez
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:40 AM

my FIL kisses my cheek when he visits. It's weird for me because my family wasn't big on affection. I just try to side-hug or face away, haha.

Bmama1
by Bernadette on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:51 AM
I don't know anyone who does an air kiss. We greet family and some friends with a hug. I think I would feel awkward do the air kiss also.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)