Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Could you? Would you?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:48 PM
  • 22 Replies
If you had a terminally ill child would you have another child to save their life? To use their marrow and blood and anything else to save your already living child? Could you? Would you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Thelmama
by Thelma on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I am not honestlly sure. I could not afford to bank cord blood which is one of the easiest best things to do when you have another baby. I don't think I could have a baby just for that purpose.  I hae mixed feelings in that I can understand the parents desire to save the terminally ill child. However, having a baby for that reason sounds like the baby has a job before it is even born.  Are there going to be lots of invasive procedures? Or just cord blood?  There is so much to think about.  It has been done and there are movies about it that sensationalize the facts.

As for me, that is no longer an option since my hysterectomy.  

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Thank you for answering. We do bank cord blood.

Quoting Thelmama:

I am not honestlly sure. I could not afford to bank cord blood which is one of the easiest best things to do when you have another baby. I don't think I could have a baby just for that purpose.  I hae mixed feelings in that I can understand the parents desire to save the terminally ill child. However, having a baby for that reason sounds like the baby has a job before it is even born.  Are there going to be lots of invasive procedures? Or just cord blood?  There is so much to think about.  It has been done and there are movies about it that sensationalize the facts.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Thelma on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM

You are welcome.  When my babies were born, we just didn't have it. Dh was in school full time and working full time and things were tighter than they were now. College students don't have a lot and even less when you have 3 little ones.  I wish we could have, even if it was never used.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Thank you for answering. We do bank cord blood.

Quoting Thelmama:

mzblack22
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Yes, I would if I could.

almostthere55
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:42 PM

That's a tough one for me too.  I'd love to have children because bringing life into this world is beautiful.  But knowing I had a child just to "use" them?  I just don't know.  If faced with that, maybe I would change my mind.  I just watched the show "My Sister's Keeper" the other day.  It is about this.  Very heart wrenching and makes you really think.  Rent it if you have watched it yet.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:08 PM
I read the book a few years ago.

Quoting almostthere55:

That's a tough one for me too.  I'd love to have children because bringing life into this world is beautiful.  But knowing I had a child just to "use" them?  I just don't know.  If faced with that, maybe I would change my mind.  I just watched the show "My Sister's Keeper" the other day.  It is about this.  Very heart wrenching and makes you really think.  Rent it if you have watched it yet.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CharlotteRose
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM
I dont think i could.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bmama1
by Bernadette on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:38 AM
I'm going to have to watch that.

Quoting almostthere55:

Bmama1
by Bernadette on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:39 AM
As of right now, yes I would because we most likely will have another anyways.
Sammi20
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:40 AM

Shit Yeah I Would!!! If I could!!! I have a hard time getting pregnant. It's not like I would ONLY have the kid to use it to save my other child I would love to have more kids in general... but I would do Anything to save my terminally ill child if I had one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)