Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Running

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM
  • 11 Replies

Do any of you run?  I have recently taken it up.  I did 3 miles this morning and I want to train to run the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon next February.  I have recently decided to go balls to the wall with getting myself in shape.  I have been stagnant for about 18 months and I am no longer content with it.  What do you ladies do to train?

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Good for you!

I try to run 3 miles 3 times a week. My running partners do half marathons though. I have not set that goal for myself at this time, as I have been struggling to even get that third run in religiously!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:34 PM
I run 4-5 x per week usually 3-6 miles each run. I have 5k on April 6, but I have to schedule a few more races for this year. If I am not too stressed out in the fall getting my Personal Trainer Certifications, I plan on another half.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:03 PM

That's great that you are getting your personal training certs!  I hope to be running just as much as you in the next couple of months!

Quoting mcginnisc:

I run 4-5 x per week usually 3-6 miles each run. I have 5k on April 6, but I have to schedule a few more races for this year. If I am not too stressed out in the fall getting my Personal Trainer Certifications, I plan on another half.

mcginnisc
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

That's great that you are getting your personal training certs!  I hope to be running just as much as you in the next couple of months!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Thanks! A couple of years after I got healthy, I told Dh that I wanted to help others get healthy and become a PT. He looked at me and said " order your books". I ordered them and I've been studying  since August. I just found out about a 3 day workshop about 20 minutes from here in 2 weeks. The kicker is that it is $375 and it starts at 1 on a Friday. I would have to work it out with DH to do it. I just texted him about it, but he is in Colorado right now on a business trip so it's up in the air right now. He said he thinks we can work out the scheduling with the kids so that I can go. <--- he is so great! 

You'll get there with the running! It took me months to build up to where I am now. Of course, I'm bouncing back from a neck injury so I haven't been able to do much for the past 1.5 months. I managed a 2 miler last week and 2 1/4 yesterday. I am going to try and work in a 3 miler this evening after taking dd to karate, but I'm not sure I'll get to do it. 

If you want to get longer runs, try adding 10% every week and no more than that.. so if you are running 3 miles now, for a long run try adding a 1/4 mile, so 3.25...and so on until you get to the mileage you want. 

Here are some great running programs: www.halhigdon.com, www.jeffgalloway.com, and www.runnersworld.com... personally, I love Hal Higdon's programs. I've done his 5K, 10K and 1/2 marathon programs. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Thanks! A couple of years after I got healthy, I told Dh that I wanted to help others get healthy and become a PT. He looked at me and said " order your books". I ordered them and I've been studying  since August. I just found out about a 3 day workshop about 20 minutes from here in 2 weeks. The kicker is that it is $375 and it starts at 1 on a Friday. I would have to work it out with DH to do it. I just texted him about it, but he is in Colorado right now on a business trip so it's up in the air right now. He said he thinks we can work out the scheduling with the kids so that I can go. <--- he is so great! 

You'll get there with the running! It took me months to build up to where I am now. Of course, I'm bouncing back from a neck injury so I haven't been able to do much for the past 1.5 months. I managed a 2 miler last week and 2 1/4 yesterday. I am going to try and work in a 3 miler this evening after taking dd to karate, but I'm not sure I'll get to do it. 

If you want to get longer runs, try adding 10% every week and no more than that.. so if you are running 3 miles now, for a long run try adding a 1/4 mile, so 3.25...and so on until you get to the mileage you want. 

Here are some great running programs: www.halhigdon.com, www.jeffgalloway.com, and www.runnersworld.com... personally, I love Hal Higdon's programs. I've done his 5K, 10K and 1/2 marathon programs. 

You have a fantastic support system!  My husband and I are on this journey to better health together so we are really leaning on one another a lot right now.  It makes all the difference in the world! 

I just downloaded a Jeff Galloway program today and I am going to start using it.  It is for the 1/2 marathon that I want to do and it's a 22 week program.  I figure if I start it now, I can just maintain once I get to my goal. 

Thank you so much for your advice!

MJP76
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:15 PM

No, I can't run. I have too many issues.

ill re-figure out what I'm capable to do after I heal completly from my hip surgery... Prior, it was pole fitness.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Ohhhh - a PT on the board.  Woohoo!  Can I pick your brain?

I am coming up on my 2 year mark for running.   I have never run in my life and decided that I wanted to run my first 5K when I was 35.  I was able to do that and was consistently shrinking my time in races after my first one....  I can't remember exact times - but my first one in August was 34 minutes and change.  By November, I ran one in under 30 minutes.  (So I got a 5k down by about 5 minutes in 3 months.)

I admittedly have slacked a little bit lately due to insane overload of a schedule - but I feel like I peaked last year and can't come back from it!  My last 5k was around 31 minutes.

HOW FRUSTRATING!  Any tips?  (I was running the 3 times a week more reliably prior to my last 5k!)

Quoting mcginnisc:

mcginnisc
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I am coming up on my 2 year mark for running.   I have never run in my life and decided that I wanted to run my first 5K when I was 35.  I was able to do that and was consistently shrinking my time in races after my first one....  I can't remember exact times - but my first one in August was 34 minutes and change.  By November, I ran one in under 30 minutes.  (So I got a 5k down by about 5 minutes in 3 months.)

I admittedly have slacked a little bit lately due to insane overload of a schedule - but I feel like I peaked last year and can't come back from it!  My last 5k was around 31 minutes.

HOW FRUSTRATING!  Any tips?  (I was running the 3 times a week more reliably prior to my last 5k!)

Quoting mcginnisc:

If you do sprints or run hills it will increase your time.. also, cross training will help as well  ( ie- weights, or HIIT). 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Ok - I have been meaning to figure out a way to get some cross training in - just can't find the time!!!!!!!!  :)

Thanks!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting mcginnisc:

If you do sprints or run hills it will increase your time.. also, cross training will help as well  ( ie- weights, or HIIT). 

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:41 PM
I have zero advice for you. I have many leg problems so I can't run, but I am wishing you lots of luck! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN