Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

cooking fish.

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM
  • 18 Replies

does anyone have any good recipies or ideas for cooking fish??

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jwkaye
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM
An easy one for tilapia fillets is this:
Cook fillets at 425 (I think) for 15 mins covered in 2 tbsp of sauce, any kind of sauce. Hot chow chow is my favorite.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jeni2013
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM

ok thank you. i just tried to cook some frozen fish in a skillet and burned it lol

Quoting jwkaye:

Cook fillets at 425 (I think) for 15 mins covered in 2 tbsp of sauce, any kind of sauce. Hot chow chow is my favorite.

bigmama423
by Liz on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I've only breaded and fried...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Cook it on a soaked plank on your grill outside.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Never put anything FROZEN in a skillet.  Defrost it first.  And as for sticking/burning, remember "Hot pan, cold oil, food won't stick".  When a pan is hot enough, adding oil on top of the hot metal create a thin film of oil that goes into the pores of the metal, creating a "non-stick" effect. The oil then dances easily on the surface. You will now have to use less oil to saute or stir-fry your food. How to tell if a pan is hot enough?  If a drop on water in the pan sizzles loudly and boils off almost immediately.  You DO have to stand there, watch your food after you put it in the pan, and turn it when needed.

We like fish --catfish, salmon, steelhead, mahi-mahi, rainbow trout, walleye, halibut, snapper--  on the grill, or under the broiler.  If you don't have a fish holder (clamshell basket), cook on a cookie sheet coverd with foil, skin side down.  Season with a brush of olive oil, and a shake of lemon pepper, or cajun seasoning, or Old Bay.  Cook till fish flakes easily, and is no longer translucent.  If you don't mind the smoke, and the oil splatter in the house, you can fry in a pan, as per instructions above. 

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I absolutely love the tilapia in this recipe.  I've never done the salad portion of the recipe, just the fish.

Texascandee
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I love fried fish, catfish especially.  I slather it wiht mustard, roll it in cornmeal and fry it.  The mustard just holds in the juiciness so the fish isn't dry

tifbrown
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Depends on the kind of fish. For salmon I like it just simple in the oven. Make a foil pack, put the salmon in, pads of butter along the filet, lemons and a bit of dill on top. Bake at 350 for... At least half an hour, but depends on the size of the filet. Almost any fish can be done this way. Also, pan fried in olive oil is good. Cook one side, flip, season with garlic, coriander, sea salt and pepper. Always gets good reviews at my house.

jwkaye
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry, I meant to say bake.

Quoting Jeni2013:

ok thank you. i just tried to cook some frozen fish in a skillet and burned it lol

Quoting jwkaye:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momforhealth
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Broil orange Roughy

Put in a pan belly up

sprinkle with lemmon pepper

squeeze half an orange and lemon over fish

drizzle with melted butter

put a little water in the pan

broil until the fish flakes

simple and healthy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)