Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fine motor skills

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:29 PM
  • 14 Replies

I can't get my three yr old to hold scissors or a pencil correctly? Other than practice, which we do. Anything else to make the process easier for her. She gets frustrated pretty easily...

CafeMom Tickers

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bigmama423
by Liz on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM
I have no advice really, besides keep practicing here and there..good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LML1
by Kristy on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Thanks

Zazayam
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I also have no advice other then keep practicing.

Good luck :)

Pnukey
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:45 PM

She's 3. She's not supposed to have those mastered yet. They work on them in kindergarten, so she still has time. Other than that, yeah, keep practicing.

curlycupcake
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Play dough. Seriously, kneading & manipulating the dough strengthens hands and helps develop fine motor skills. Check out the book "Teach Me To Do It Myself". Lots of great ideas to develop fine motor skills.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bieg9093
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Break her crayons so she has to "pinch and point" which trains her to use/exercise all the right muscles.  Also use lots of other stuff for art projects like an eyedropper with paint or watercolors with a paintbrush that you've cut down to broken crayon size.

As for the scissors...Fiskars makes spring loaded scissors that spring back open after the child squeezes them closed.  It makes learning a little easier.

If you start working on lots of fine motor activities and she avoids or gets frustrated quickly, get her evaluated; she might qualify for occupational therapy.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM
I was going to suggest those springing scissors too. Kaden learned on those. He's a cutting *with supervision* champ now. :)
ericahager2005
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Have her evaluated by local school system. She might need a little occupational therapy, they work on fine motor skills. Is she right or left hand dominant?
Thelmama
by Thelma on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Just take it a little at a time. She will get it.  Relax, it's fine. Different kids do this at a different ages.  Use differne materials.....paper, felt, etc that has different textures. Have her cut out simple shapes she can make into something with glue etc.  Just make it fun, so she forgets she is practicing.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh and have her color on different textures as well, sandpaper, aluminum foil, wax, paper etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)