Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

what would you do?

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM
  • 17 Replies

On Friday, I had just got back from dropping the kids off, Woke up my dh and was sitting down to have a cup of coffee when My phone rang. It was a call from DH's phone but when I answered it, I just heard a bunch of noise. I walked back to the bedroom and asked him if he knew where his phone was. He said he thought it was on his desk. Then I realized what i was hearing. It was my sons teacher and a bunch of other noise. I said " I think your phone is in your sons pocket at school" My ds is almost 7 in the 1st grade. So I hung up and it called back again. I was so tempted to call it and let him get in trouble but I knew the ringer was off since dh always keeps it off at night. So instead I went up to the school told the ladies in the office I needed to see him because I think he took my dh's phone to school and pocket dialed me. They all thought it was funny and laughed. I thought it was funny too and have been giggling about it ever since. Although not in front of him of course. So they had the teacher send him down with his book bag and this was our conversation.

me: do you know why I am here?

ds:no

me: Did you take a phone to school today?

ds:(long pause) no

Me: are you sure because I got a call from daddies phone and i could hear your teacher. SO, I am going to ask you again. did you take a phone to school?

ds(long pause) yes.

me: Give it to me.

ds: it's in my desk.

me: really? You would come down here with your bookbag, thinking you could possibly be leaving and would leave your daddies phone in your desk!? Go get it now!

So now he is grounded inside for 1 week for taking the phone and 1 week off the DSI for lieing!

what would you do? Has any of your kids ever tried something like this? I think it's very funny and one for the baby books but like I said before he does not know I laughed about it!

Mom of maddie 9, Jonny 6, katie 5
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MJP76
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:54 PM

My kids would never do such a thing, nor have they ever. Firstly all of my kids are older so they have their own phones, however I have raised my kids from day 1 teaching them about personal belonging, for example, my kids aren't just allowed to dig in my purse for a piece of gum, that have to ask me because its MY purse. Sounds like your child may need taught personal boundaries, so I'd have that chat with him.

i think you did the right thing grounding him, however, I'd also take any electronics away from him, because that punishment would fit the crime per se.

NewMom11222011
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM

My son has been in foster care for half his life before coming to us so yeah, it's something he would do.  I think your consequences fit the crime and you handled it well.  Good job, Mama!

Mama2Spencerninja

sabrtooth1
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I would NOT think this is funny -- it  is stealing.  What if the phone had NOT rung, and your DH needed it?  How long would he have torn up the house looking for it?  What if it was a work phone?  What if your son lost or broke it?  If your son has electronics, I would remove them.  Logical consequences make a bigger impression.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I think you did a great job handling it mom, and not letting him see you laugh about it too.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM
You did well. One question...is it one week inside AND another week off his DSi, or is it only one week for both?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Umm your child Stole something took it to school and then lied about it and he can't play outside? Not only does that not fit the crime but it's a joke.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momamanda
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

1 week off ds and outside. Basically 1 week of punishment. It's big for him because the only thing he does is ride his bike and play outside. He doesn't really play with toys or watch TV so he has been bored.

Quoting Kmakksmom:

You did well. One question...is it one week inside AND another week off his DSi, or is it only one week for both?

momamanda
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Actually It's a big punishment for him. All he does when he gets home from school is Ride his bike and play outside until dinner. He doesn't play with Toys really or watch TV. So he is pretty bored. When he is inside He plays the DS so that is gone too. I think it's fair punishment He is normally well behaved. What would you do differently?

Quoting marchantmom06:

Umm your child Stole something took it to school and then lied about it and he can't play outside? Not only does that not fit the crime but it's a joke.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:30 PM
ahhh, okay! :)

Quoting momamanda:

1 week off ds and outside. Basically 1 week of punishment. It's big for him because the only thing he does is ride his bike and play outside. He doesn't really play with toys or watch TV so he has been bored.

Quoting Kmakksmom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momamanda
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:32 PM

The only Electronic he has is his DSI and he lost that for the week too.  Yes if it hadn't of called me It would've not be as funny but since it did It was funny. IMO.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

I would NOT think this is funny -- it  is stealing.  What if the phone had NOT rung, and your DH needed it?  How long would he have torn up the house looking for it?  What if it was a work phone?  What if your son lost or broke it?  If your son has electronics, I would remove them.  Logical consequences make a bigger impression.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)