Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Middle child syndrome?

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:49 PM
  • 13 Replies
I have a set of twins that are 11years old (girls) and a 8 year old girl and a 6 year old boy...Why is it I am still saying my middle (the 8 year old) is having middle child syndrome? I thought she would grow out of this adventually I do everything In my power to make her feel special and somehow she still know how to drive me crazy. Unfortunately she gets attention but its always negative...I say it's just her personality! Gosh my other 3 kids are nothing like her..(yes they all have the same dad) anyone have a similar situation?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Megzboys
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:59 AM

I have three boys ages 12, 9 and 7.  Max, my middle child is also my stunt crazy boy and has cut open his chin twice and had stitches each time.   He was a trooper and is still wild.   I don't know if he is just unfortunate to have so many accidents or if this is his way of getting special attention but he most often a happy kid.    My youngest is actuallly the one drives me crazy the most and "acts" like the middle child.  Max has his own quirky ways that set him apart from his brothers and he has always been a "jump first ask questions later" kind of kid, quite fearless which can be scarey for us but I also don't want to keep him from having safe fun.  

Some children do grow out of it and some don't I guess.    Hopefully she will find a way to come to acceptance of her space in the family and see it as a plus rather then a minus.    Maybe when she is older, she can join the drama clubs and express herself on stage.    Good luck.

snharden44
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:46 AM
I was a middle child, older brother and younger brother, and I'm not sure we ever grow out of it honestly, but in my case I'm also the only girl, so maybe it's a special situation. Just try and treat them all the 'same', same rules, curfews , expectations etc
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Make some time for her.  Set up a mommy/daughter day and do something special, just the two of you. 

momamanda
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I am a middle child and always had this. My parents said when i was about 5 years old they knew I was going to need extra attention. So they both started taking time out with just me one on one with each of them once a week. even if it was just playing a game or reading a book. I just needed that time with each of them. I would say it helped greatly! My ds has a little of it but he is the only boy so he handles it a little better than I did.

bigmama423
by Liz on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM
My kids are 8(boy), 7(girl), 4(boy) & 18 months(girl). They're all so completely different yet so much alike in some ways too...
Jennifer6712
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Thanks for the replys I like this website. It really helps to talk with other mothers N women that's gone through similar situations.
Thelmama
by Thelma on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I think my dd has it to some degree. She is 9 and it is just now showing up.  Finding a balance is hard.  I am in the midst of it, so I am no help.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I was a middle child and I was always 'out there' I have 4 kids ages 13, 11, 8 and 4.  The older 3 are girls and my 8 year old takes on the middle role.  the older girls hang around together and my son is the baby.  My 8 yr old has issues that we are trying to deal with.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:27 PM

sorry pressed reply to early lol

I would just take it one day at a time and sometimes don't give attention to the negative activity she is doing.  unless dangerous of course bc negative is better than no attention.  the squeky wheel gets the oil ya know?

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I love your avi!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)