Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Is it wrong to force a parent to save their child's life?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Should the dad be legally compelled to donate bone marrow and save his sons life?

Options:

Yes. A parent should never allow their child to die if they can prevent it.

No, it's messed up but it's his choice.

He shouldn't be forced but I think some black mail could be in order.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 49

View Results

This is based off a show I saw.

A girl (16) had an affair with her teacher in high school. She became pregnant (the father never knew) and dropped out. 12 years later she's married and her son is 11. He was diagnosed with lukeimia and has been on a transplant list for over a year. All of the family has been tested and no one is a match. Her husband (step dad) works in the hospital and found out that bio dad is a match. Out of desperation she contacts him, tells him about his son and begs him to donate. Her child has a month, tops, to live. He refuses.

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Replies (21-26):
sjump25
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

It's very messed up that he wouldn't want to help.. shit I'd help a stranger if I could, but I don't think he should be forced :/  I just hope karma comes back for him.

momamanda
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:20 PM

It's sad! I can't imagine not helping an innocent child, let alone, my own child but It is his choice and you can't force someone. It wouldn't be right either!

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't want the death of someone on my hands, I think he should do the right thing.

buzymom93
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM

yes it should

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Well if he refused I would resort to black mail. It matters not that he wasn't informed he had a child with this young lady. The child should not have to pay the consequences of mom and dads actions and the child does not deserve to have his life cut short. This is one of the few times I can see it being court ordered. I see it the same as a parent with holding any life saving medical treatment from a child. And yes the courts have actually forced the issue a few times

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM
I can't vote on my phone, sometimes I can, other times I can't, but it's his choice. Sad situation tho. In my mommy mind I wish he'd have said okay, but in reality it's his choice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN