Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

how to handle stuttering

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM
  • 12 Replies

hi guys my name is Ashley and my son is 2 going on 30 lol. i have noticed  that recently he has began to stutter.ugh it make me so upset .i started to read about it and a lot of sources say it normal .. but he was talking so good before and it just seemed to pop out of now where.. i try to calm him down and make him stop and then try again but its just don't seem to work and then he starts to get frustrated... should i get him help or not ladies please help me...

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM
It very well may be a normal developmental "glitch" that will work itself out. That is not uncommon.

But, you could also bring him for a free child development screening through your area's early intervention services to see if he qualifies for speech services.

Good luck to you. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aydensmom2
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

thanks i sure will do that!!!

momamanda
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM

My dd did this around age 3-4. It was very fustrating but ignoring it and being patient while she talked was what helped. They think faster then they can speak at this age So it can be hard to get it out. Sometimes I would remind her to stop for a minute think about what she wants to say then say it. I don't know how well that would work with a 2 year old though.... My advice is just patience and Bite your tongue when you want to finish the sentance for him. He'll outgrow it.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I hear it is normal and it will work itself.  Maybe a speach therapist to help him along the way?

letstalk747
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

this

Quoting Kris_PBG:

It very well may be a normal developmental "glitch" that will work itself out. That is not uncommon.

But, you could also bring him for a free child development screening through your area's early intervention services to see if he qualifies for speech services.

Good luck to you. :)

sjump25
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:42 AM

My son did the same thing around 2 and I freaked out.  Turns out he just had so much to say and was having a hard time getting it all out.  The advice I was given was to not rush him and not to finish his sentences for him.  He eventually grew out of it and is now 6 and has perfect speech.  If you are worried though, an evaluation can't hurt.

Zazayam
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Depends on how bad it is. If it's just a little stutter I'd tell him to take his time and sit quietly and wait for him to work it out. If it gets bad, speech therapy sooner rather then later.

Lady.Ash.
by New Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Oh I hear you. My son is five and stutters when he is axnious or really excited about something. He was evaluated at school for speech therapy but they said it was normal.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I think it is normal just tell him to slow down. My neice did that and today she is going to college to be a Dr.

Bieg9093
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Most kids who begin stuttering around 3-4 years old outgrow it.  A few don't.  Kids who are going to be stutterers will be stutterers, although speech therapy can provide lots of needed support.  But there's nothing we can do to stop a stutterer from growing into a stutterer.  So you can relax.

Most folks wouldn't be able to tell if a kid will outgrow it.  A good speech/language pathologist might be able to.  If it persists for a while, I'd go for an eval.

In the meantime, slow down your own speech with him and around him.  Don't overdo it...just always talk slowly and with an even flow.  This way you're modeling a pace that might be easier for him to achieve.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN