Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

How young is to young

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM
  • 22 Replies
How young is to young to have a spend the night party with a friend? Someone not related to them at all.

The reason I ask is because my son and his best friend were at the store with me tonight and a lady asked if they were twins. I said no they were friends. And we were having her spend the night with us. And the lady got huffy and asked how old they were. Ugh for one it's none of her business and for another why would she get so perturbed by what goes on in my house??!!?

So it got me thinking, maybe it is unusual for kids this young to have sleep overs and even more so with the opposite sex??? What's your opinion?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBuck09
by New Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:10 PM
As long as my parents knew the other parents, and it wasn't a school night I had friends stay over by the time I was 6/7. My kiddos are still to young 3 & 2. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jwkaye
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:31 PM
As long as my parents knew their parents, it was all good. I stayed at my best friend's house ever since I can remember. Even had my own toothbrush there.
We were lucky that our dads worked for the same company and we got moved around together. And he and I are still very close friends 29 years later :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM
My kids had sleepovers at around age 3 (good friend, dd and her best friend who stayed with me during the day, her mom would take dd for weekend sleepovers at 3. So 3 at the earliest, generally around four or five...what I found is lord of kids aren't ready to sleep away from home till much .later, like six or seven. Some of ds' friends made him go to their house until they were aBout 8,.then they were ready to sleep away.
Zazayam
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:50 AM

My boys aren't allowed different sex sleepovers past age 6ish, they started having sleep overs around 4 or 5.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I never had my kids have sleep overs with the opposite sex unless family. I would say for a sleep over though is 6 or so. Depending on the kids and if the kid is able to stay away from their parents over night. I don't want to have to get up and take the kid home in the middle of the night.
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

oh and it shouldn't matter what goes on in your house, none of her business

AleaKat
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Same. I'd like to be familiar with the parents and the home environment but 5 of so seems ok to me.

Quoting MamaBuck09:

As long as my parents knew the other parents, and it wasn't a school night I had friends stay over by the time I was 6/7. My kiddos are still to young 3 & 2. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoShame116
by Shawna on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this
No sleepovers with the opposite sex at my house, but that is just how I do it. To each his own.
Marz31
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Depends on the child and who they are going to sleep over with or have sleep over. I remember being in 3rd grade and going to a friend's and it just was so not what I was used to, it was bad, ended up calling my parents and she ended up coming over to my house instead. but other friends, it was just normal and I think a few I may have stayed over in 1st or 2nd grade. But DD's best buddy turns 4 today. they live next door so if DD wanted her to stay over now (both 4) I'd say sure, because if she had any problems, JUST next door. But any length of driving, probably won't happen for another few years.
gogohas2babies
by New Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM

My sister and I had two really good friends that were boys growing up.  (They were family friends) We would have sleep overs, but they were like brothers more than anything else.  I think its ok depending on the situation.  I have two boys and I would think it weird if they just so happen to meet a girl (say when they are 14 or 15 or something) and say mom can she sleep over? UHHH NO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN