Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

S/O Did you pierce your daughter's ears?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM
  • 16 Replies

If so, what age? Did you wait for her to decide or do it when she was little or a baby?

I'm going back and forth on this one, this is my first daughter and I would like to get them done but at the same time it feels a little wrong..

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redbutterfly666
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM

i dont have a dd yet but when and if i do have one i plan on getting her ears pierced after her first shots

id much rather get them done young and let them get used to them, then deal with what happened to me and have her go through surgery at 4,5,6

Zazayam
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure I want to take her and get them done on her 6 mo "birthday" I have no idea why I've come up with that time frame. Young enough that she'll get over it quickly. I had mine done as a baby.

Hubby says I should let her decide when and how to maim herself, but he'll support either choice. His wording was meant to tease me but it's kind of got me feeling bad about it, lol.

Quoting redbutterfly666:

i dont have a dd yet but when and if i do have one i plan on getting her ears pierced after her first shots

id much rather get them done young and let them get used to them, then deal with what happened to me and have her go through surgery at 4,5,6

manifer_momma
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, she was 4 months. Honestly I didn't really think about it, I just did it. It's very common in the Hispanic culture.

She's 7 now and has only had them (the piercings) infected 3 times. Turns out she can ONLY wear silver. So, silver it is. She loves her earrings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redbutterfly666
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Quoting Zazayam:

Yeah I'm pretty sure I want to take her and get them done on her 6 mo "birthday" I have no idea why I've come up with that time frame. Young enough that she'll get over it quickly. I had mine done as a baby.

Hubby says I should let her decide when and how to maim herself, but he'll support either choice. His wording was meant to tease me but it's kind of got me feeling bad about it, lol.

Quoting redbutterfly666:

lol yeah df knows what happened to me when i got my first set of earrings when i was 6 (i was afraid they would fall out so i kept pushing the backing closer and closer to my ear and eventually my ear ate the piercing.....literally the docs had to cut my ear open to get them out O.O) so he is in full support of what im thinking

Zazayam
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Oh my! Poor kid. I hadn't even considered THAT possibility, but yeah I think I'm going to go ahead and do them when she's a baby.

Quoting redbutterfly666:

Quoting Zazayam:

Quoting redbutterfly666:

lol yeah df knows what happened to me when i got my first set of earrings when i was 6 (i was afraid they would fall out so i kept pushing the backing closer and closer to my ear and eventually my ear ate the piercing.....literally the docs had to cut my ear open to get them out O.O) so he is in full support of what im thinking

bellawomen
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I would never pierce until a child is old enough to take care of them on their own. I had mine pierced at age 3 on my birthday because I asked. I had my earlobe ripped in half twice from earrings getting caught on stuff. My son is 9 and I also wouldn't pierce his ears unless he asked. He is old enough now to care for and clean them on his own.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
redbutterfly666
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM

lol yeah you also gotta think about what she might be allergic to

Quoting Zazayam:

Oh my! Poor kid. I hadn't even considered THAT possibility, but yeah I think I'm going to go ahead and do them when she's a baby.

Quoting redbutterfly666:

Quoting Zazayam:

Quoting redbutterfly666:

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Little kids with ear rings is trashy
My 9 year old just got hers done but she had to prove for an entire year she was responsible enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melissa_anne
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this

My DD got hers done for her 7th birthday.  she made the decision to get it done

rhiannonaisling
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd had her ears peirced, while out with grandma, when she was less than 6 months. I much prefer that method. I do not remember my first peircing (at about 2 months old) but I do remember all of my newer peircings (because of sensitivity issues I had to get them redone 3 times and headed for a 4th when I can get somewhere that does titanium or gold studs as the only local places do surgical steel which I am allergic to).

Plus when you get it done younger they are less likely to get infected or close when your baby gets older...it has been almost two years since I wore earrings in my first holes and they are still open, but the newer holes closed after the last infection in only about a month (and I had had them for nearly a year!).

So I would highly recommend it. I would also, at your next well baby checkup, ask the doctor what types of posts they recommend for younger children both length and metalwise and check to make sure that your chosen peircing place carries that type and that they have a good record.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)