Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Because she was my neice now she can't possibly be my daughter??

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:56 AM
  • 149 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you agree with the statement in red?

Options:

Yes. You are her aunt not her mom. Her child, her choice.

I kinda agree with it. Even though you are raising her, it's still her child too. Although it would have been nice if she asked you first.

Not at all! There's more to being a mom than just giving birth. She was wrong.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 277

View Results

Long story short. My sister got pregnant young, her boyfriend left her, she didn't want the baby so at 4 weeks old she gave her to me. Literally she dropped her off in my room one night and said here, you take her.

Now fast forward 5 years. Although my sister takes her occasionally, church and such, I am her mom. She lives with me and my husband, who she calls daddy. We feed her, clothe her, care for her, enroll her in school, ect. (She's 13 now and is still here,lol)

At the time me and my sister had discussed ear piercing. I told her that I wasn't comfortable with dd getting them done, she was too young. Sis disagreed but we left it at that. One day she takes dd out to the mall and comes back with her ears pierced. I was LIVID.

I posted about this here and a certain someone told me that my sister had every right to peirce HER child's ears. And that just because my neice stays with me doesn't make her my daughter. Her child, her choice.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleighmama
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you. The way I look at it, you are her mom, what you say goes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Justine1993
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:33 AM
That's like putting ur kid up for adoption. She's ur daughter now not hers.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Justine1993
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Like she's her birth mom but u are her mother and what u say goes
mommy_madilyn
by Amy on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:58 AM
1 mom liked this
You are her mom. She had no right to do that without permission.
gavs4boys
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this

OH she is your DAUGHTER!!!! You are raising her and have since she was born.  I'm raising my best friends grandson.  (His bio parents had their rights taken and his grandma adopted him but was unable to care for him herself so me and my "now ex" dh helped raise him).  She was "Grandma Mama Brenda and I was Mama Vicky hehe".  He is MY son and no one will ever tell me different.  It's not blood that makes you a parent it's who cares enough to be there and willing to raise a child.

Do you have legal custody of DD?

Mom2Phoenix2011
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:28 AM
She made the choice to put you in the parental role and herself in the the role of the aunt. Being as she plays the role of an aunt she had no right to disregard your choices.
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:54 AM
3 moms liked this
She's the mom period
You are just the aunt. It would be like if she died. She is still the mom, you are the aunt and you shouldn't have even forced the child to call you mom. She should call you Aunt whatever your name is. Because that is what you are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sashamom27159
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:59 AM
5 moms liked this

Are you serious or just looking for attention this women has taken her niece nto her home and raised her from an infant just because the birth mother comes around for visitation rights that does not make her a mother.

Quoting marchantmom06:

She's the mom period
You are just the aunt. It would be like if she died. She is still the mom, you are the aunt and you shouldn't have even forced the child to call you mom. She should call you Aunt whatever your name is. Because that is what you are.

Mzwest83
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

She is yours and sounds like a dead beat mom. Does she pay for anything? Does she take her every weekend or even everyother? Lets face it. If she was a man and you were her bio mom she would be a dead beat dad who would have no rights. Moms are always held up to a higher standered then men regauard less of their parenting ability, which is stupid. 

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
No it's the truth. Sorry you can't grasp simple facts. Taking care of a child doesn't make it yours.

Quoting sashamom27159:

Are you serious or just looking for attention this women has taken her niece nto her home and raised her from an infant just because the birth mother comes around for visitation rights that does not make her a mother.

Quoting marchantmom06:

She's the mom period

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)