Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

I am a Second Generation Free Range Parent,.ask me about edits

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 10 Replies
what is a free range parent you may ask. Well the version that I use is my kids who seven and three can play out side without supervision, they need to stay with in voice range. My kids can play by themselves without adult interference and do not have to ask food out of the frig.They are expected to bathe themselves without to much help.I do help them with dressing because they are 7 and 3 and my 7 year old has high functional Autism and my three year old is still learning to button. We use sparsely use smacking if they act up. It has been very good reason. we don't smack if they use bad words. they will put themselves in their rooms because they know they used words we don't used. When my kids play at the park, i will walk around the enclosure to get exercise, I do not fight my kids battles if they are having problems with other kids at the park. That does not mean I will not help out if they have problems at school with other kids but I expect them to work it out on their own by asking a teacher or the principal. I step in if the school will not listen to them. I do not help with my seven year old home work. I will lay out the items she needs but she must to the work, if she complains and does not do it. she must explain to her teacher and deal with the consequences of not doing her work. edits; sorry it has taking a while. i was sick and just found out an old friends of my passed away on Saturday no i am not afraid that some one will take my kids when they play at the park while i walk around the enclosure. the world has not change that much, it is media that reports child abductions more, and that causes parents unnecessary fear and worry. yes basically my husband and I are using old style parenting techniques. Many other parents are really shock how independent my kids are, this because we do not do every little thing for them.
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
squirrelml
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Never really heard the term Free Range parenting before. Being open an honest with your children has always been my moto. I grew up in a large family we had respect for our elders and all had our own responseablities,everyone had their chores to do-before playing outside. We hardly watched any TV growing up,too much to do,to sit all day in front of the boob tube.Also we had a black an white TV till I was about 12! LOL Anyways you only know your children the best and what they can and cannot handle.To me it isnt anyone's else's business how I raise my children!

cherylam
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM
2 moms liked this

works for me, until your kids are out of sight in a public area and come up missing.  Sorry, the world isn't like it was, even 20 years ago.

EireLass
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't know they changed the name from 'normal' to 'free range'.

bigmama423
by Liz on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Sounds interesting.
Don't you worry about your kids getting snatched up by someone, when they're outside alone??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:14 PM

This is pretty much how I raised our kids and they are all just wonderful and competent and successful.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

It seems pretty normal to us maybe, but this doesn't seem to be the norm any more. I've never seen so many over-involved parents and over-indulged children.

Quoting EireLass:

I didn't know they changed the name from 'normal' to 'free range'.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:26 PM
good for you! I see my parenting style in a lot of what you said, OP. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LlamaMama123
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Love this! I am a free range parent as well. My kids are learning independence by doing things that they can do for themselves. My friends are shocked when I tell them my 6 year old is doing laundry or making himself breakfast or gasp, cuts his own apple with a paring knife. My 4 year old takes showers on her own and makes her own PB&J sandwiches. They can both play in the front yard unsupervised. We teach them how to do things and once they demonstrate that they know how we let them do it. Seems like common sense to me.
sjump25
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I would call myself a free range parent then too.  I do let my 6 year old play outside by himself, but he cannot go outside the gate.  I would never let him roam the neighborhood by himself.  Not only do I not want him to get snached up, but there are too many cars that drive crazy on our street.  Otherwise, my 6 year old showers himself, picks out his own clothes and dresses himself, does his homework alone (I help if he needs it though.. i'm not going to make him struggle if I can help.. that doesn't mean give him the answers) and everything else you mentioned.

pixie-buttercup
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

It's interesting to see what different parent's definitions of "free range parenting" are. I don't consider myself a free range parent, but I do agree with some of the things you mentioned that you do. I have a neighbor that considers herself a free range mom, but the rest of the neighborhood considers her a lazy uninvolved mom. Her son is 7 (soon to be 8) and he roams the neighborhood all the time. He's been seen playing outside in the rain by himself in November (in someone else's yard), I've seen him walking around the neighborhood in his socks. One of the other moms said he was eating dry Ramen noodles out of a bag one day for dinner. She's a ball buster about cars racing up and down her street, but she has no problem letting her kid roam the neighborhood like a feral cat. It's baffling. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)