Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

What age did you daughter/son start talking???

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM
  • 38 Replies

My dd is going to 18 months in April and she does really talk. She does say any word she babbles but no really words yet.  She does say mama and dada but nothing else. The doctor told me not to worry about for another couple of months.  But I'm still worried!

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2inblue
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:22 PM
My son is 2 and he is just now picking up a large vocabulary. All kids start at different times.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Kids may start at different times, but there IS a normal progression.  By 18 months, he SHOULD have about 6 recognizable words.  My granddaughter is 13 months, and she regularly says:  yes, no, quiet, dog, Moo (dog's name), & OK.  She occasionally says "Boom", which is what we say when she falls on her seat, and "Let's go".

cowgirls10181
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Oldest started talking at 12 m, and we could undersand him.

Second started at 2.5 and now goes to speach at school, has increased pressure of her inner ears, but no hearing loss, dr said could be why her speach is off.

Third is 16 months, misses some letters in hr words but with contex we can understand her.

I wouldnt worry each develope differently, if truely worried ask about an ent doing a hearing test again.
Raeann11
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM

My oldest it was not till after three she really started to talk. We started speech therapy when she as 2.5 years old. My second was a bit after two and my third was a bit before two years old. Around 2 years old they seem to have a word explosion. Just keep working on trying to get to get them to talk and talk a lot to them. Like what you are doing, getting,what they are doing, what they have and try to get them to say it too. Do over do it but just having them try is great. Before you know it she will be talking.

tiffanypote
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Thank you everyone you all have eased my mind!
nocalmegan
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Callie started saying a few clear words at about 12m. Shes 21m now and can probably say 40 words and a few 3-4 word sentences. The rest is just babble I can't understand.
Bethsunshine
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:29 PM

My oldest son was around a year I think when he started talking. My youngest son was practically BORN talking, LOL!! Not really, but he did start talking pretty early. By the time he was 18 months, he was speaking in full sentences. I guess he picked up on it so fast by listening to his older brother. Neither one of them has shut up since, LOL!!

OliviaW.
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:30 PM
My first was around a year. My second still isn't really talking and he's over 2. We also have him in speech therapy but not sure if it's helping or not.
bigmama423
by Liz on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM
All kids are different. If your daughter is saying some words and understanding what you tell her, I don't think you should worry.

My youngest is 18 months and she babbles mainly, but she does know quite a few words too.
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM
I wouldn't worry. She'll get there sooner than you want her to ;)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN