Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Paying a babysitter in Food Stamps?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What do you think?

Options:

I don't see a problem with it as long as her dd benifits from the food bought.

No. Foodstamps are for her family only. Not to pay a babysitter with.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 82

View Results

I watch my niece every other weekend or so and I get paid 20$. Well recently my SIL said money has been tight and she wants to know if she can buy me 20$ in food instead with her FS. I usually spend the money on snacks for her dd and the kids anyway.

I'm kinda up in the air about it. On one hand I want to; It will help her out and I will be feeding her dd with it but on the other hand I don't want to commit fraud either...

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Replies (21-30):
cndmom
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know, I can see this both ways

As for getting caught, someone could easily report that you asked a question. Proving that she paid you in food stamps as opposed to making sure her daughters snacks were covered so as to not add a burden to your family, different story.

I babysat for my sister over the summer and she repaid me with stuff from her stockpile. She coupons really well and can get staples (peanut butter, jelly, pasta) far cheaper than I can. So she gave me groceries that would have cost me a given amount but cost her far less. It was a win win. So maybe I see this differently.

cndmom
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I think this boils down to intent.

If her intention is to pay you with groceries that would be a no no.

If her intention is to make certain that you watching her daughter does not add a burden to your grocery bill. that is different.

proving intent is hard.

acrogodess
by Lissette on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM
2 moms liked this
The food stamp office won't care simply because the food is being used to feed your niece. Yes, other people are eating it, but the same goes for anything you are fixing from your own money that your niece eats from. The only way the food stamps office would care is if the family members of the cardholder was not benefiting from the food stamp benefits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM
So really its more of a playdate and a nice thing you do for her. BTW...who gives you a break?? if she is spending$$$ on fun while you watch her dd every weekend, then she should pay you first. How you decide what is right for you, what you are comfortable with, and your situation is up to you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
sex is not most important ..infect its not important at all .its a function like going bath room.only u can live wth out it.
Yesterday at 7:58 PM
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM
i would say no ..u need gas and stuff .$20.00 bucks ant a lot..
KRIZZ25
sex is not most important ..infect its not important at all .its a function like going bath room.only u can live wth out it.
Yesterday at 7:58 PM
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM
i use to get payed in fs back in the day wen u had paper stamps..i hated it..i wonted money ..but no my old man sayed yea to his friend..thats didn't last long.
cndmom
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM
2 moms liked this

So my sister now gets food stamps if she invites me over for dinner, is that fraud?or should I bring my own? if she watches my kids and feeds them shoud I send them with food?

IDK this could get stupid quick.

littlemoments99
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Yeah...that's not allowed. I probably wouldn't do it. If I'm getting only $20 I would just tell her she doesn't have to pay me. Unless you really need the money. 

I watch my cousin's 3 kids at a very discounted price or for free sometimes. I could always use extra money as DH and I have only been married for 8 months and just starting our lives together, but we are not in desperate need of money so I don't mind not getting paid to watch their kids.   :)

illinoismommy83
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

How about you give her a list of snack food you'd like to have in your house that total around $20 and she can bring that same list of stuff every time. How she pays for it is none of your business then.

illinoismommy83
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

My neighbor recieves food stamps and has had me over for dinner before. I know how she paid for dinner. Is that fraud? Lol. 

Quoting cndmom:

So my sister now gets food stamps if she invites me over for dinner, is that fraud?or should I bring my own? if she watches my kids and feeds them shoud I send them with food?

IDK this could get stupid quick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)