Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Paying a babysitter in Food Stamps?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What do you think?

Options:

I don't see a problem with it as long as her dd benifits from the food bought.

No. Foodstamps are for her family only. Not to pay a babysitter with.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 82

View Results

I watch my niece every other weekend or so and I get paid 20$. Well recently my SIL said money has been tight and she wants to know if she can buy me 20$ in food instead with her FS. I usually spend the money on snacks for her dd and the kids anyway.

I'm kinda up in the air about it. On one hand I want to; It will help her out and I will be feeding her dd with it but on the other hand I don't want to commit fraud either...

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Replies (41-50):
paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:25 PM

The investigators would then have to prove that the food in my cupboard wasn't bought with my own money.

Quoting audreesmama:

Someone who overheard the convo or suspects anything could report it.

Quoting paganbaby:

Ha! Well then, it would have to be someone who knows me in real life and my sil. Then they'd have to prove it.

Good argument though ;-)

Quoting maecntpntz219:

Well, you just posted it on a public forum. Who knows who would find out :)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:26 PM

But is it really fraud if she's just sharing some of her food with her nieces and nephew?

Quoting audreesmama:

Yep, then welfare fraud is her problem, not yours.

Quoting paganbaby:

I like this! Problem solved,lol.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

How about you give her a list of snack food you'd like to have in your house that total around $20 and she can bring that same list of stuff every time. How she pays for it is none of your business then.

acrogodess
by Lissette on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Look up the case in Washington state where the woman was living with her doctor husband in a multimillion dollar home by the pacific ocean and claiming he was her landlord. She got over a $1 million in benefits from the state before being caught!

Quoting paganbaby:

Good Lord! That's terrible :-/

Quoting acrogodess:

Depending on the state, they would consider it a waste of a phone call to their fraud department. While they would answer the call, it would likely never make it into their database to conduct an investigation. They would never be able to prove that you didn't already have the food in your pantry or that she purchased it for your home. Investigations cost money and if they're going to spend money on investigation, it will go into catching people living in homes purchased by their kids father who is pretending to charge them rent by pretending to be a roommate or landlord. :-/

Quoting paganbaby:

That makes sense. I mean it's not like she's going to be dropping off her card for me to use for the month.

Quoting acrogodess:

The food stamp office won't care simply because the food is being used to feed your niece. Yes, other people are eating it, but the same goes for anything you are fixing from your own money that your niece eats from. The only way the food stamps office would care is if the family members of the cardholder was not benefiting from the food stamp benefits.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audreesmama
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Yes. Guidelines clearly state the food purchased with fs are only for the people listed on the application.

It's highly, HIGHLY unlikely she will get caught, but it does happen.

Quoting paganbaby:

But is it really fraud if she's just sharing some of her food with her nieces and nephew?

Quoting audreesmama:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

How about you give her a list of snack food you'd like to have in your house that total around $20 and she can bring that same list of stuff every time. How she pays for it is none of your business then.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
audreesmama
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM
It would be her problem, not yours. She would have to prove how she uses the money. Highly unlikely, but it does happen.

Quoting paganbaby:

The investigators would then have to prove that the food in my cupboard wasn't bought with my own money.

Quoting audreesmama:

Someone who overheard the convo or suspects anything could report it.

Quoting paganbaby:

Ha! Well then, it would have to be someone who knows me in real life and my sil. Then they'd have to prove it.

Good argument though ;-)

Quoting maecntpntz219:

Well, you just posted it on a public forum. Who knows who would find out :)

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM
I have no idea on the rules/laws on this one....
paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

*Jaw drop* I'm off to Google.

Quoting acrogodess:

Look up the case in Washington state where the woman was living with her doctor husband in a multimillion dollar home by the pacific ocean and claiming he was her landlord. She got over a $1 million in benefits from the state before being caught!

Quoting paganbaby:

Good Lord! That's terrible :-/

Quoting acrogodess:

Depending on the state, they would consider it a waste of a phone call to their fraud department. While they would answer the call, it would likely never make it into their database to conduct an investigation. They would never be able to prove that you didn't already have the food in your pantry or that she purchased it for your home. Investigations cost money and if they're going to spend money on investigation, it will go into catching people living in homes purchased by their kids father who is pretending to charge them rent by pretending to be a roommate or landlord. :-/

Quoting paganbaby:

That makes sense. I mean it's not like she's going to be dropping off her card for me to use for the month.

Quoting acrogodess:

The food stamp office won't care simply because the food is being used to feed your niece. Yes, other people are eating it, but the same goes for anything you are fixing from your own money that your niece eats from. The only way the food stamps office would care is if the family members of the cardholder was not benefiting from the food stamp benefits.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I get FS and I have my mom over to dinner a couple times a month. I never knew that was illegal...

Quoting audreesmama:

Yes. Guidelines clearly state the food purchased with fs are only for the people listed on the application.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting audreesmama:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

JoshRachelsMAMA
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Eh, so what.
audreesmama
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Technically, yes. My neighbor gets them and is almost 80, so I always help her fill out her apps and everything. I have her over for dinner, but won't let her cook for us unless she comes over and helps cook. I LOVE the looks I get when I take or shopping or worse, use her card for her when she's sick. People suck sometimes!

Quoting paganbaby:

I get FS and I have my mom over to dinner a couple times a month. I never knew that was illegal...

Quoting audreesmama:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting audreesmama:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN