Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Allergy testing

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:48 PM
  • 11 Replies

Doctors office called today and said my son qualifys for allergy testing. He only has seasonal allergies, as far as I know at least.  He does have a mild case of Asthma though. Anyway. What do they do for allergy testing? isn't like a bunch of needles? does it hurt them?

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
daisynmollysmom
by New Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:34 PM

My son had his first allergy testing at 7 months...they take this thing that has like 10 needles -2 rows of 5- almost reminded me of a smaller plastic bottom part of an egg carton...with needles! They poked it onto his forearm and we had to wait and watch for 10 minutes I think. He did cry for the first minute but was then over it quickly. He's been tested a few times due to food allergies but luckily he's outgrowing them (he's 2 now). Hope your testing goes well!

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM
How old is your kiddo?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momamanda
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:28 AM

he is 7

Quoting Kris_PBG:

How old is your kiddo?

Jennyanne322
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:31 AM
DS had his done last spring. It's not needles. The have this plastic thing and there is ten sponge like things on it. Each sponge thing is dipped into a different thing and put on his back. Then you wait 15 minutes and they measure the reactions. DS was allergic to a lot of things we didn't know he was. It's a good idea to get it done.
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:08 AM
It's always good to get it done, then you know.
bigmama423
by Liz on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:19 PM

My son is allergic to just about everything...
He's had 2 different tests. The pic is one that was done with needles..they poke then wait and measure the reaction. The other test was done with plastic rollers which only stamped his arms, no poking. This was done the beginning of February, his back still has spots from the reaction.. :(
momamanda
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:43 PM

did it hurt? My son only has very very mild seasonal allergies but does have mild asmtha so don't know if that is what they are factoring in or not. My oldest dd actual suffers the worst I asked if they would test her instead and she said I'd have to get an appt and ask the doctore, So I am going to. When I told her I didn't think my son needed it she said "So... you don't want to know what your son is allergic to?" as if I was a bad parent for not wanting to. SO I went ahead and made the appointment but I don't want put him through all that if there is no reason to ya know...

Quoting bigmama423:

My son is allergic to just about everything...
He's had 2 different tests. The pic is one that was done with needles..they poke then wait and measure the reaction. The other test was done with plastic rollers which only stamped his arms, no poking. This was done the beginning of February, his back still has spots from the reaction.. :(

bigmama423
by Liz on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:58 PM
They do it really quickly, so it's like a pinch.. he was squirming and not happy, but perfectly fine as soon as they were done, besides being itchy. It's really not that bad, and I think it is good to know what he's allergic to.
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM
At least at 7 he is is enough to "get" it more.

I remember having allergy testing as a kid - it wasn't bad...
MJP76
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:17 PM

It depends on how they do it. There is a new method where they just draw blood.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)