Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

VENT: Don't tell your child's teacher...

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM
  • 102 Replies
4 moms liked this

... that your child is late to school b/c she was up late with a fever.  We BOTH know your child should NOT be at school if she had a fever less than 24 hours ago.  We also BOTH know your child has been coughing like crazy, and will continue to do so today...  Considering she had a fever less than 24 hours ago, she is likely doing a bang up job spreading her virus to the class.

Vent over.

Sorry - had to get that out.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyKir
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I refuse to send my kids if they have a bad cough, fever or sore throat. I do not want them spreading anything to the other kids, and I think its rude when parents send their sick kids to school. Last week my son had a mild cough but it sounded like he had some mucus, so I did not send him until it became a dry cough and until his fever had been broken for at least 24 hours. My son has missed soo much school already this year because other parents keep sending their sick kids in, then my son get sick, and since he has asthma his cough gets horrible. People don't think about how a cold can effect kids with existing issues. Two weeks ago his teacher had to send half the class home because of the stomach flu, because one child was sent into school when his vomiting had only stopped in the middle of the night before, so he attended class that afternoon riddled with those germs, making ALL the other kids catch the stomach flu.... Drivs me nuts, if the kid is sick, keep them home.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Amen!!!!!!!!!  I wonder how many kids will now get sick from this kiddo...  :(

Quoting MommyKir:

I refuse to send my kids if they have a bad cough, fever or sore throat. I do not want them spreading anything to the other kids, and I think its rude when parents send their sick kids to school. Last week my son had a mild cough but it sounded like he had some mucus, so I did not send him until it became a dry cough and until his fever had been broken for at least 24 hours. My son has missed soo much school already this year because other parents keep sending their sick kids in, then my son get sick, and since he has asthma his cough gets horrible. People don't think about how a cold can effect kids with existing issues. Two weeks ago his teacher had to send half the class home because of the stomach flu, because one child was sent into school when his vomiting had only stopped in the middle of the night before, so he attended class that afternoon riddled with those germs, making ALL the other kids catch the stomach flu.... Drivs me nuts, if the kid is sick, keep them home.

bigmama423
by Liz on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM
No kidding!!

When I picked up my preschooler on Tuesday, there was a little boy coughing like crazy. My son has been sick since Wednesday...not sure if it's from that kid or not, but it still irks me!! Why send your kid to school sick?!?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this
Somehow 24 hours fever or vomit free before returning to school is confusing to parents.

Quoting bigmama423:

No kidding!!

When I picked up my preschooler on Tuesday, there was a little boy coughing like crazy. My son has been sick since Wednesday...not sure if it's from that kid or not, but it still irks me!! Why send your kid to school sick?!?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
starlight91
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:12 PM
2 moms liked this

While I wouldnt send my dd if she a fever or vomiting, the rule is in our house, if you dont have a fever youre going to school, if the nurse feels dd shouldnt be there, she will send her home.

Catching a cold from someone at school  or daycare ( for kids) or work ( for adults ) is life happening. yes it sucks to get sick or watch your child suffer from a cold caught at school but thats life. Especially since a cold could last for over 2 weeks, NOBODY can stay home that long from school or work.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Our school district policy is no child should be at school unless fever free for 24 hours.

The parents KNOW this.

Furthermore, the child was late, b/c she needed extra sleep because the child was up late miserable with fever.

I am well aware of a cold and how long it can last - but fevers don't go with just run of the mill colds.

Quoting starlight91:

While I wouldnt send my dd if she a fever or vomiting, the rule is in our house, if you dont have a fever youre going to school, if the nurse feels dd shouldnt be there, she will send her home.

Catching a cold from someone at school  or daycare ( for kids) or work ( for adults ) is life happening. yes it sucks to get sick or watch your child suffer from a cold caught at school but thats life. Especially since a cold could last for over 2 weeks, NOBODY can stay home that long from school or work.

opal10161973
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:17 PM

It isn't confusing at all, but with so many schools cracking down on attendance and calling DCF on parents, what can they do? 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Somehow 24 hours fever or vomit free before returning to school is confusing to parents.

Quoting bigmama423:

No kidding!!

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Our school does not have a strict attendance policy and does not call DCF for occassional absences.

I have heard other schools having crazy policies - our does nothing like that.

Quoting opal10161973:

It isn't confusing at all, but with so many schools cracking down on attendance and calling DCF on parents, what can they do? 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting bigmama423:

No kidding!!

wyattsmom2009
by New Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM

You cannot blame kids for being sick. Or adults for that matter. It is the damn weather. Where we live it is warm then we get snow again. You keep getting sick.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I don't blame anyone for getting sick.

I blame the parents for not following school policy.

Quoting wyattsmom2009:

You cannot blame kids for being sick. Or adults for that matter. It is the damn weather. Where we live it is warm then we get snow again. You keep getting sick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN