Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Summer plans to keep the kids engaged

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:59 PM
  • 8 Replies
Any ideas what you will do this summer to help keep your kids reading, fluent in math and engaged in academics?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:16 PM
I'd love some fresh ideas - I feel like I've "done" all of mine over the years! Lol!
MJP76
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM

My kids get to run in the woods barefoot at grandmas for most of the summer.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM
What age? Mine do a reading bingo for most Of the summer. The kid with the most bingos filled by August gets a special prize. We also engage learning time by making them accountable. "You need to come eat at 12:39." "We will be swimming from 2:30-6:45, let me know when it's time to go" having them pack for trips, by giving them a list. If they are little play hop scotch, send them on a scavenger hunt for numbers, letters, colors, ect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shyanntech
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP! to see what other ideas come out of this.. i need some ideas too for a 4 year old and 10 year old..

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Mine are 8 and 5. We have done a range of things over the years and each summer has been different...

I like having them pack for things!

I'm mostly thinking of fun ways to track academic time so that the "tracking" is what makes them accountable for their reading, etc...

Quoting marchantmom06:

What age? Mine do a reading bingo for most Of the summer. The kid with the most bingos filled by August gets a special prize. We also engage learning time by making them accountable. "You need to come eat at 12:39." "We will be swimming from 2:30-6:45, let me know when it's time to go" having them pack for trips, by giving them a list. If they are little play hop scotch, send them on a scavenger hunt for numbers, letters, colors, ect.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:49 PM
I know the summer reading log from school and from the library helps motivate/keep them accountable...

But I just need something "fresher"...

Plus, I have some math goals in mind for the kids as well...

I'm sure there is some cool app that makes all of this "exciting " - but I don't know what it is... I'd probably prefer tracking in a way that does not involve electronics, but - I am guessing they would love it tracked electronically! Lol!
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:49 PM
More power to you - I couldn't do it!

My kids stay pretty busy and involved during the summer - but I need some balance for them too! :)

Quoting MJP76:

My kids get to run in the woods barefoot at grandmas for most of the summer.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I need ideas too. We always do the reading program at the library, but...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)