Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

gay marriage

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM
  • 12 Replies
Do you think that there are more gay people who want to get married than straight people?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I think both populations probably want to marry in equal proportions.

Considering gays are not in "the majority", comparing total numbers would not be a productive way to compare. But I would imagine the numbers are pretty equal in comparison regarding percentages.
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM
There's no way to tell statistically, but as for me, I have more gay friends that want to get married than straight friends.
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I really don't care, rights for a option I will never understand.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Quoting Kmakksmom:

There's no way to tell statistically, but as for me, I have more gay friends that want to get married than straight friends.

I also have gay friends but they don't talk about marriage.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Considering gays are not in "the majority", comparing total numbers would not be a productive way to compare. But I would imagine the numbers are pretty equal in comparison regarding percentages.

Being gay is not like being white, black, male, or female so I am not understanding all the right issues!

supercarp
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I don't know how you can measure how many people want to get married. I think there is a disincentive for men to get married. They can get sex without it and they stand to lose a lot of money if they do get married.

sjump25
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree

Quoting Kris_PBG:

gr8d8n3mom
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Sadly this is true. A lot of ppl go into marriage these days with the insight that if is doesn't work they can always "just get a divorce". They don't take the marriage vows for what they really mean.

(plus they think about what they can get "out of" the marriage if they do divorce, I think that is why you see so many couples having children in the first yr or 2 after a marriage. They figure having a child "secures them" with child support.  

With all that out there, and men hearing from other men about their divorces, and usually they are pretty, why would a man who has worked hard for what he has, and possibly built up a good retirement or working on it, want to take the chance to loose it?  I'm sure men are gun shy.

PLUS now there is the other side, there are women whom have the good jobs, and retirements, and the man can take it from her, why would she want to loose that?

I personally feel, a lot of couples rush into marriage too soon and don't take it seriously. If they are having problems, they don't work on them, they just divorce.

I don't think you can statically put up the gay marriages vs straight ppl. I believe all should have the same rights.

Quoting supercarp:

I don't know how you can measure how many people want to get married. I think there is a disincentive for men to get married. They can get sex without it and they stand to lose a lot of money if they do get married.

Aortiz22
by New Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:26 PM
2 moms liked this

They are people and as long as you aren't harming anyone people should be free to marry or raise children with the person they love. There are human rights acknowledged by heterosexual couples that homosexuals are denied as if they are less human. 

Quoting PurpleHazey:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Being gay is not like being white, black, male, or female so I am not understanding all the right issues!

spotsmom
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Well, considering that gay people constitute only 10-13% of the population, that math would suggest "No." 

Or do you mean that, percentage-wise, more of the gay population want to marry compared to the straight population? Percentage-wise, I would say maybe about equal. Yeah, that would be my best guess, but I haven't seen any actual studies or estimates on this. I would just guess that, human love and social conformity being what it is, it is expressed the same in both groups.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)