Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

The dog or the machine?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:29 AM
  • 29 Replies

A little background:

We have a German Shepherd mix puppy who's over 6 months old now. She's a destructive little terror since it's been too cold outside to let her out during the day. I also have a wonderful Dyson slim that has never given me a problem and has been the best vacuum I've ever owned. One day when the dog was feeling particularly destructive and searching for something to chew, she found the vacuum. I had left it out because I was waiting for the carpet to finish drying after steam cleaning it so I could do the final pass with the vacuum. She chewed through the cord and took the plug. The plug was beyond help otherwise I could have reattached it with a little wiring fix and patching.

My question is, since this has been such a good vacuum, would it be worth taking it to a shop for a new cord or would that cost as much as just replacing the vacuum? Keep in mind this was a $600+ Dyson. The best price I can find on this same model is at Costco and it's still out of my price range. I can get a new vacuum for around $150, but it would be exactly that, a cheap vacuum with no guarantee of quality.

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nekoXfishie
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM

i'd take the vacuum in to be fixed, if it is as good as you say it is worth getting it fixed.

gdsTX
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Oh, it is. We have two animals that shed like crazy and it never leaves hair behind :)

I'll try to stop by the shop near my house today and get a quote.

Quoting nekoXfishie:

i'd take the vacuum in to be fixed, if it is as good as you say it is worth getting it fixed.

EarlGrayHot
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Get it fixed.  And cut the puppy some slack-she's still a baby.  obedience training and doggy chews could be your friends!  Good luck!

AleaKat
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM
My shark does just as good and isn't $600 but whatevs.
Get it fixed and understand that the puppy is a puppy and it comes with the territory.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdsTX
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I've tried giving her other things to chew on, but she chews through them within a couple days. The only thing that has lasted is a rope. Once it warms up a little more here, I'll let her outside while I'm at work so she can run around and stop terrorizing the cat. That should help her calm down enough for the training to actually stick.

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

Get it fixed.  And cut the puppy some slack-she's still a baby.  obedience training and doggy chews could be your friends!  Good luck!

gdsTX
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I know the Shark is cheaper, but still outside my budget for a new vacuum. The Dyson was a gift, so I'm not the one that spent all that money. As for the puppy, she's shredded my only rug. She also somehow got hold of a box of old spark plugs that our former roommate forgot to dispose of and the box is still in pieces on the floor (pieces too small to pick up) since I'm sans vacuum. I know she's a puppy and she gets A LOT of slack, but she's more destructive than any other puppy I've had and that's saying quite a bit.

Quoting AleaKat:

My shark does just as good and isn't $600 but whatevs.
Get it fixed and understand that the puppy is a puppy and it comes with the territory.

bigmama423
by Liz on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Since it's so expensive I'd probably just fix it.

For the dog maybe try crate training or getting a large bone. I have a large hollow bone that my dog has had for 3 years, it's very hard!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Crate train your dog.  Your dog will be happier, and so will you.  I crate trained every dog I've ever ownwd, and since I always had a MINIMUM of 2 at a time, that's a lot of dogs in 60 years.  Right now I have 4, and they all happily go to their beds.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Oh boy I am on my 3rd dog and I have never had a chewer, we had our lucky for 15 years. and we have a 2 year old and a 5 month old.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I would get it fixed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)