Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Mopping question

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:55 AM
  • 31 Replies

How do you mop your floors?  Do you fill a bucket of mop solution and use a string or sponge mop, do you use a Swiffer wet mop, do you scrub by hand???  

I use a Swiffer wet mop, but I always wonder if it's cleaning my floors really well.  I HATE the idea of filling a bucket or sink of mop solution.  What do you think is the best way to mop your floors?

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SWasson
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:25 AM

When I'm just doing a "once over lightly" mopping, I use a sponge mop. When I really need to get it much, much cleaner, I get down on the floor and use a rag. It dries faster when I do that, too.

sjump25
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:36 AM

The reason I use a Swiffer wet mop is because I am bit of a germ a phobe and the idea of using a sponge mop or a string mop grosses me out.  I feel like they hold so many germs.  I like the idea of using a brand new mop pad everytime.  I just don't know if it's getting my floors the cleanest.

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I use my swifter with a reusable mop pad I order from the container store( this gets washed after ever mopping) on line. It works well. 

MJP76
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I do mine by hand once a month and the other three weeks I use one of those (idk what it's called) blue mop heads, that pick up everything...

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Fill a bucket with bleach and super hot water and mop.  I always rinse the mop before I dip it in the bucket again though.  The thought of washing the floors with dirty water just grosses me out.  I also wash the mop head every time I clean the floors.   

bigmama423
by Liz on Mar. 29, 2013 at 5:03 PM
I don't mop! My husband does..he uses a string mop with a bucket. I like using Swiffers. I'm with you and think mops are icky!! I would really love to have a steamer though..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Swiffer wet mop and by hand

sabrtooth1
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I use a Rubbermaid Reveal, or a microfiber flat mop for day to day washing, and a self-wringing (machine washable) mop & bucket once every other month or so.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I use a steamer

wildhorses420
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Swiffer. Hands down. I'll never go back to a mop. It cleans better imo, it dries so much faster and it does NOT have that slippery factor where some unsuspecting member of the family comes rushing in and wipes out on their butt. Regular mopping takes FOREVER to dry. Once in awhile I do an old fashioned scrub of the floor but most of the time it's the Swiffer. I love it and wouldn't live without it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN