Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

puppy training plz help! PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  • 7 Replies

We have a 14 week old golden retriever that we've had since she was 9 weeks old. For the last two weeks she had no accidents! Sh said yesterday 'I think she's mostly potty trained!' Yeah, not so much, she went 5 times in the house yesterday, she went once on the deck and once on the deck. She's gone once so far today and its only 6 am, she's only been up for an hour!!!!!!! I'm at my wits end! I don't know what I'm doing wrong, or am I supposed too do something different now.... Can anyone please help me?

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
babylove1979
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Bump

MommyCrooks
by New Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Have you rubbed her nose in the potty and showed her where to go? after i did this i sent my dog straight to her kennel telling her NO! letting her know i was upset and made her watch me clean it up.. potty training lasted about 4 weeks.. but she now knows where to go and is still a pup.. i would try treats for rewards when she did good.. what is your usual doggy potty routine?

babylove1979
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM

The first week we had to carry her up and down the stairs and put her in the area we want her to go potty, the second week we went out but didn't carry her up and down, we just went down with her and she went to her spot and went potty.  Week three  we just put her out and watched out the window to make sure she goes down and goes potty.  We use treats.  When she goes in the house we put her nose by it so she can smell it and tell her NO!  Then send her outside and tell her go potty.  I'm a a loss as to why she's acting like this, she peed on the sidewalk 4x today!  I don't know what to do!!!!

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Do not EVER rub an animals face in their feces. You give positive reinforcements like you would with a child. Treats anytime they go outside. Kennel them and only let them out to potty and receive love and affection and then put them back in. Spend lots of time outside. Pooping on the deck is outside!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daylily888
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Yeah, the deck is outside.  If she doesn't have a doggy door, it's really your fault for not paying attention to her cues or letting her out frequently enough.  Unless you continue to take her down to the grass/dirt, she won't understand that just being outside isn't enough... you must make the association that the grass/dirt is the place to go (that takes time to develop).

Other than that, puppies need to be let out FIRST thing when they wake up and every hour or so throughout the day.  They don't have the bladder capacity as a full grown dog, so you have to give them PLENTY of opportunities to relieve themselves.  And pay attention!  You'll get to know her cues - pacing or sitting at the door, or walking in circles or restlessness or frequently visiting the door (any door), or just disappearing from the room.  Get to know your dogs habits and signals and you'll cut WAY down on accidents.

REMEMBER: dogs don't have the ability to speak nor to open the back door themselves.  They rely on us humans to help them out.  So next time your dog has an accident, stick YOUR nose down in it and say "PAY ATTENTION NEXT TIME!" Then let your dog out to finish their business.

babylove1979
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:24 PM
We are taking her out, we take her out at least twice an hour and she is outside first thing in the morning.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
daylily888
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you taking her out or letting her out?  If you just let her out, that might mean in her mind it's time for fresh air.  Put her on the leash, take her out, give her a command "go potty" (or whatever you choose but keep it the same), if she doesn't go in a couple of minutes, you say, "ok, let's go back inside".  You have to keep at that for a few weeks - physically walking her to the grass, command, reward if she goes, lead back inside if not.  Make sure that at potty time you don't play with her or walk her or really interact.  It's business time, "go potty". At other times of the day take her out to play or walk, but make sure they are different times.  Otherwise you aren't training, you are hoping.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)