Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Would you?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:28 PM
  • 23 Replies
This is still kind of a hypothetical question, but it is based on a potential situation.

Your child is in prek4. There is a mom that you have met a few times and you both work for the same large company, but you did not know each other prior to your kids being in class together. She seems very nice. There is a themed amusement type place 3 hours away that the her child adores. The mom facebooks you and asks if your son would like to go with her and her son next time they go.

Do you send your prek4 kiddo with her to an amusement park 3 hours away, keeping in mind the factors listed above?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lorik1969
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:55 PM
I try not to be overly paranoid (sometimes I have to try really hard lol!) but I would be uncomfortable with this situation. Even though you work for the same company, you only know her casually. At that age I would even be uncomfortable with a short trip. If your son would enjoy a trip to the amusement park perhaps you could suggest a group trip? Maybe even invite one or two other moms & kids from their class.
When my daughter was 5 we moved to a new house. We were there about a month and she had become good friends with the girl down the street. The girl's parents were taking her out for her birthday to a kids restaurant and invited my daughter. I must have had an uncomfortable look on my face because the mom said to me "of course you're invited too!". Once we got to know them it was no big deal, but it took some time.
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
I totally agree with you.

I don't know the parameters of this trip, but if it is what I listed above, my kiddo won't be going.

If she wants me to go with her, I would think about going. My only apprehension would be not including my 8 year old on the trip, since he would be interested in going too... But, I'll figure that out if we even get that far. :)

I was just curious what others thought... :)

Quoting Lorik1969:

I try not to be overly paranoid (sometimes I have to try really hard lol!) but I would be uncomfortable with this situation. Even though you work for the same company, you only know her casually. At that age I would even be uncomfortable with a short trip. If your son would enjoy a trip to the amusement park perhaps you could suggest a group trip? Maybe even invite one or two other moms & kids from their class.

When my daughter was 5 we moved to a new house. We were there about a month and she had become good friends with the girl down the street. The girl's parents were taking her out for her birthday to a kids restaurant and invited my daughter. I must have had an uncomfortable look on my face because the mom said to me "of course you're invited too!". Once we got to know them it was no big deal, but it took some time.

Lorik1969
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:32 AM
If you're both married, why not make it a family trip? I got to know some good friends that way and now we do lots of things together. The kids all get along and are roughly the same age and sometimes it's nice to have other adults to hang out with while the kids are playing!

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I don't know the parameters of this trip, but if it is what I listed above, my kiddo won't be going.

If she wants me to go with her, I would think about going. My only apprehension would be not including my 8 year old on the trip, since he would be interested in going too... But, I'll figure that out if we even get that far. :)

Quoting Lorik1969:

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:37 AM
It is possible, but we just took 2 small trips over our spring break and it is kind of a crazy time of year for us, so I can't say this is the time where we'd want to spring again for another trip for the family, KWIM?

Quoting Lorik1969:

If you're both married, why not make it a family trip? I got to know some good friends that way and now we do lots of things together. The kids all get along and are roughly the same age and sometimes it's nice to have other adults to hang out with while the kids are playing!

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting Lorik1969:

sjump25
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Pre-k, don't know her well, 3 hours away... no I wouldn't let my child go.  I am not super overprotective, but I wouldn't be comfortable with that.  I would consider it if it were a good friend and my child was a little older, but not this situation.

letstalk747
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM

no , i would not- she aint inviting you too

EmilyG10
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM

no but I'm way protective of my son and not knowing the mom to well I wouldn't want to be that far away from him

Bieg9093
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Does she have older kids?

Thelmama
by Thelma on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Not if I did not know her well.  Not at that age.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM

no

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN