Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Mom gets 16 years in prison for letting dead diabetic daughter eat sweets, failing to manage child's disease

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:40 AM
  • 18 Replies
http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1293771#bmb=1

Mom gets 16 years in prison for letting dead diabetic daughter eat sweets, failing to manage child's disease

A Texas mom was jailed for the death of her diabetic daughter after failing to control her condition by letting her eat sugar-filled sweet treats.

Georgia Jones, 31, will spend the next 16 years locked up after confessing to feeding Chasity Butler, who was just nine, foods that were high in glucose.

She also left Chasity — who died on her mom's bed in May 2008 next to a bag of candy and a half-eaten cupcake — to take her own blood-glucose-level readings and insulin injections.

Jones, from Dallas, was arrested a year after her daughter's death — which a coroner ruled was natural from complications of her Type I diabetes.

But Jones was, according to cops and state Child Protective Services, responsible for not preventing the death as she did not monitor or treat the condition.

Investigators in the case revealed Jones did not turn up to a Diabetes 101 class a week after her daughter fell into a coma and was diagnosed with the disease in 2005.

The night of her death, they also found that Chasity — who had dangerously high glucose levels, stomach pains and diarrhea — was fed candy and noodles to celebrate her sister's birthday.

Jones' husband Marqus Butler, whose mother now has custody of Chasity's four sisters, previously said his wife let their daughter take a nap.

When they went to check on her, he added, they found she had died.

"Chasity's diabetes was not monitored properly causing her to be constantly sick and in bed rather than leading a normal life like other children her age," Dallas police documents said.

Jones pleaded guilty and was sentenced by Judge Gary Stephens on Monday, the Dallas Morning News reports.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:42 AM
As a teacher, having a diabetic child in my class is a HUGE responsibility.

I can't imagine being that cavalier with that responsibility as a parent.
amonkeymom
by Amy on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:19 PM

That's horrible!  If her condition was known, there is NO excuse for not taking responsibility and helping the child to live a healthy lifestyle.  :(

Jadegirl1819
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I would like to know more details.  Okay, she didn't show up to the 101 class but what about doctors appointments and other training in the 3 years between diagnosis and death?  To get insulin she had to go to the doctor.  The doctor didn't notice that things were being poorly managed?  The father didn't get any blame for what happened.  I very much agree that the mom is guilty but it seems like others failed the poor child as well.

Mandy575
by New Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM
2 moms liked this

This absolutely REVOLTS me!!! My dd is a type 1 diabetic and I FIGHT with her everyday about her numbers and insulin.  My dd was diagnosed when she was 11 and now at 14 she is being very rebellious and I am the one responsible for her over all. I'm the one up at 2am checking her numbers making sure she is ok or giving her a shot. YES it is hard and yes I would love for her to just be "normal" but she's not. This woman is a dumbass!!! I hope she rots in hell!!! She failed her daughter!! Yes my daughter eats what ever she wants but I make sure she does her Insulin and yes my daughter absolutely hates me. I'm the bad guy but I'M HER MOTHER!!!

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Sounds like years of mismanagement... And a serious lack of general care.
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM

so sad all around

amylovesnick07
by New Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Wow only 16 years? She deserves life in prison.
waffa
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

and Mom deserved it 100%, and wish she got more time for being a lazy Mother.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM

She needs to worry about her daughters health

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Quoting waffa:

and Mom deserved it 100%, and wish she got more time for being a lazy Mother.

I agree with you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN