Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is a cry baby

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM
  • 34 Replies

I don't know why he is like this now.  He just will not stop crying, and he throws the biggest tantrums.  You tell him no and he will roll around on the floor kicking and screaming.  He yells to get his point across.  I can't take the tantrums anymore.  I have given him timeouts, taken his toys away, sent him to his room.  He just won't stop.  These tantrums have just started a few months ago and I am not sure why. 

Any advice that worked for you?

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
me-n-mygirls
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

my 21 mth old is bad about that~!!!!

I point at him and tell him he is being a bad boy. then pick him up and set him down in the sitting position.

or

I sit in front of him and alk to him.  I usually know why he is throwinga fit so I tell him--lecture---while he is throwing a fit.  "I know you are mad cause you can't go outside but right now it is raining and going otside is not a good idea"  alll the while he is looking at me like " I know!!   now take me OUTSIDE!!!!!   cause I don't care!"     he knows what he is doing.

then he will just want to be held/hugged for a bit and it ends in a tickle session or a dance break.

for the real bad ones I swat his bottom and firmly tell him that is enough.    and then he stops kicking and throwing his body around and sits all sad and crying then we hug and go play.  

nurbabe82
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Ds went through a tantrum stage between the ages of 2 and 3. UGH! lol. I would put him in his room  letting him know that kind of behaviour was not tolerated and tell him he could come out when he was done. We did time out too but the time out didn't start until he was quiet.

Shari55
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM
4 moms liked this

I am old school, so you can take the advise or leave it.... As long as the child is not hurting himself just let him cry it out...seriously. Don't talk to the child (lecture) or swat. Like I said I am old school, so I don't believe in negotiating when children are being children and need to learn.

Shari, wife to John since April 1988, Mom to Heather (Jan. 1977) she is mom to five(3boys, 2 girls), Nyssa(April 1989) Michaela(August 1994) and four cats

amonkeymom
by Amy on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM
2 moms liked this

He's probably doing it for attention.  Don't give it to him.  When he starts rolling around on the floor or yelling, just walk away.  When he sees you're not interested, he'll stop.

EireLass
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Ignore him. Leave the room. When he comes looking for you...he'll be asking a question, tell him "we don't act like that in this house".

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM
How old is he?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

How old is he?

he's 4

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM
I agree with the others then. Kids do what works. If you make the tantrums an "ignore only" situation and walk away, you will hopefully make them ineffective.

Do you feel like the tantrums result from genuine frustration or do you think they are purely dramatic?

Quoting hayliedlr:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

How old is he?

he's 4

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ghostbaby
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:54 PM

try whupping his ass. do not let him get over on you.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM
I tried leaving the room and he will either scream louder or follow me.
Quoting EireLass:

Ignore him. Leave the room. When he comes looking for you...he'll be asking a question, tell him "we don't act like that in this house".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)