Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Parents with boys I need advice..

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 29 Replies
Is it normal if my 6 year old (fixing to turn 7) boy is suddenly acting like he doesn't want me to see him naked or help him with showers? I normally help with hair washing and shut the curtain leaving him to wash the rest. This feels somewhat of a normal reaction but I can't help but wonder why..plus he is my baby "my last baby" and only boy..There is NO other close relations in my family that has boys so I turned to this site.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mdawn028
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this
He may just want to be independent and do things on his own. He sounds like he is wanting to learn how to do things on his own. Do u let your dh help with some things. He may need to talk to him about what is going on u might want to talk to him too. He may be embarrassed by u seeing him since he is getting a little bit older each yr. And being a boy he may feel at times u are babying him washing his hair. I imagine it is hard to see him growing up and say that boys and girls each have their own unique personalities. I say u and your dh talk to him together. I don't have experience with a boy of my own only by watching my baby cousin who is a boy. Hope I helped some sincerely, Dawna
-42-
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:36 AM
2 moms liked this
Yup. That's about the time they start wanting privacy. I have one about to turn 13 and one about to turn 7......he doesn't mind me stepping in and helping him every now and again, but he prefers to be left alone to do it himself.

He still snuggles with me though, and he's not ashamed to hug and kiss me in front of school! He even puts his arm around me when we're at the movies. <3
MeridaMomma4
by New Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
All kids are different, my only son (10) started doing that around 8
bradley102
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
my twin boys will be 7 in june. they have become very independant from taking their own showers to fixing their own plates at supper. it is just the age of wanting to become independant. nothing to worry about.
nurse1997
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine started about that age being shy too so I was always like closing my eyes and he covered with his hands down there if i needed to scrub his head I just always tried to make sure I stayed away from looking down there and was like cover up so I cant see it always made him feel better .  

Army-Wife0128
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is sometimes like that and he's 5.  He's showers and washes his hair on his own and there are times that i walk in his room as he is changing and quickly covers up and says "mom get out!" lol others he doesn't really care.

avonleafan
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this
my oldest started taking showers by himself 4 or 5. He loves privacy.
sweetr0se
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My step son is 10 and yea..I am not allowed anywhere near him when he's changing or taking a shower! I want it that way anyways!

KRIZZ25
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this
yep..ur baby is growing up..
gingerprincess
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

My DS is 6 and a half, and he is doing the same thing. He doesn't even let me hold him and cuddle and stuff like he used to.. :'( My boy is growing up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)