Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Anyone own a German Shepherd???

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM
  • 38 Replies

We will be getting one soon, and I love the breed. I'd like to adopt one, rather than paying a $2,500+ for a puppy from a breeder. There are many reputable rescue groups here in Georgia, so we'll probably go that route. 

Any tips? Advice? TIA. =)

by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmama1
by Bernadette on Apr. 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM
I haven't owned one but my husband's family did and they loved him!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FuriousPaws
by Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Socialize it with kids at an early age if you have any. make sure it's as young as possible. Be sure you know its history with temper. They are naturally temperamental dogs but they're not mean or violent.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Apr. 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM
We haven't owned one, but have had friends and family that have. They are a beautiful breed, but seem to have hip problems later in life. Good luck to you :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I've had Shepherds all my life, till my last one died 7 years ago, and by then, we were over the work of the breed.  I now have 3 Bostons and a Pug, and except for the Pug shedding, those FOUR dogs are less work than ONE Shepherd.  One note about rescue Shepherds, or Shepherds from the shelter.  You are NOT going to find a super wonderful Shepherd sitting there waiting to be adopted.  People keep GOOD shepherds.  The not so good ones end up in the shelter.  And a not-so-good shepherd can be a DISASTER. 

Even a good shep needs a ton of exercise, because if they are bored they will destroy your home.  I had one open my fridge and eat a five pound ham.  Another one used to rest his chin on the spindles between the legs of the chairs.  I did not realize he was also CHEWING THEM, till someone sat down and the chair exploded. 

THEY MUST BE CRATE TRAINED.  THEY MUST BE SOCIALIZED FROM AN EARLY AGE.   THEY MUST HAVE OBEDIENCE TRAINING.  Even a socialized dog can be very protective of "his" family, or "his" person (tough luck if it ain't you) and they WILL bite (your neighbor, your husband, your in-laws, you)  if they feel threatened. 

They shed CONTINUOUSLY, and you can knit a coat from it.  They poop mountains. 

They have a host of health problems because they are so overbred.  Even getting a good puppy from a reputable breeder is no guarantee against temperament or health problems.  Most are very susceptible to hot spots, and pillow ear.  They have lots of skin issues, digestive problems, and allergies.  You will need to feed a high-quality, high protein, NO GRAIN, NO CORN, NO PEANUT food if you want to try to avoid those problems.  

These are some of the best, most honest reviews you will find.  ttp://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/germanshepherds.html

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/germanshepherd.htm

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Apr. 14, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Adopting is a great thing

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Apr. 14, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Quoting Bmama1:

I haven't owned one but my husband's family did and they loved him!

Everyone I know loves them...I think they are mean!

CharlotteRose
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM

i had a shep/lab mix they love to run and are very very loyal to the family.  I read somewhere can't remember that Shepard's tend to take to one member of the family over the others I think that comes into the "loyalty" part. However, she was the best dog we ever had!  Good luck and pls share pics if/when you do get one! 

holmes212
by Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:15 AM
we do. shes a big baby but her protector side comes out when it needs to. we did obedience training at petsmart w/ her although she ended up w/ pyometra which is an infection of the uterus caused by bacteria getting inside during heat cycle. she has a full hystarectomy and to be quiet honest shes been a pita since then she Likes To Chew on our hands and arms not agressivly but to play or get attention. shes started chewing things up anything she can get her mouth around. but other than that she listens fairly well as far as if she gets out the door we have 4 acres she roams a little but when we call she comes. sorry if this is all over the place just trying to think of everything and its late here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bigmama423
by Liz on Apr. 15, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Adopting would be awesome!

Never owned one, but I've heard they have hip dysplasia problems.

Acid
by Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM

DO NOT make sure it's as 'young as possible'.  Puppies, if you do decide to go that route, need to stay wtih their mothers and siblings until at least 10 weeks of age.  Breeders who don't care about money often keep them until 12 weeks.

Puppies who are younger than 8 weeks are too young to leave.  DO NOT take a puppy that is younger than 8 weeks.

Often times you will have issues that arise from removing a puppy from its family too early.

Quoting FuriousPaws:

Socialize it with kids at an early age if you have any. make sure it's as young as possible. Be sure you know its history with temper. They are naturally temperamental dogs but they're not mean or violent.

Only when the last tree has been cut down,
Only when the last river has been poisoned,
Only when the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

— Cree Indian Prophecy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)