Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

People being asked to wear race shirts today in honor of Boston attack

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:54 AM
  • 8 Replies
Suzanne Henslee is wearing a race T-shirt Tuesday as a small show of support for Boston Marathon bomb victims.

Henslee, a well-established Dunedin race promoter and coordinator who launched the Dunedin Triathlon, has marketed and coordinated more than a hundred local races over the years.

News of the Boston Marathon explosions that left at least three people dead and more than 130 hurt Monday put her in tears. She wanted some way to show support.

"Everyone's heart is broken and any act of kindness is going to make us all feel better," Henslee said.

It wasn't long before she used social media to spread the word:

Runners please wear a race shirt to work tomorrow to honor The Boston Marathon. Terror will not stop us. Love to all of you tonight.

No runners from Dunedin were registered for the Boston Marathon, however dozens of runners from Pinellas County participated. If you wish to search for 2013 Boston Marathon runners, click here.

Henslee, owner of Xanadu Race Management, also spearheads the Youth Triathlon Series for the Lance Armstrong Foundation and markets lots of local races to include the Phinley Fun Run, the Dunedin Shamrock 5K and OktoBEERfest 5K.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:54 AM
I'm doing it - anyone else?
sjump25
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I wish I had a race shirt.  I am running my first 5k on the 27th of this month.  I'm a little nervous about running downtown St Louis now :(

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM

We don't have race shirts in our family.  We did wear red yesterday.  Our community sent out a news report that evening that if we wanted to show our support we could wear red, so we did.  A ton of people that we came across yesterday did the same thing.

mcginnisc
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I am taking it a bit further as a runner... I am wearing race shirts all week long. I wore one yesterday, and have one on now. I will be wearing them through Sunday- luckily, I run a ton of races and have plenty to choose from. 

Boston is like a runner's dream race. It is so hard to get qualified to run it and that is most peoples' goal. I would love to run Boston myself. Runners are such an amazing community of people and this hit many many runners very hard. It is such a tragedy. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

MandMsWorld
by New Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, cool, I actually wore one when I was running this morning :)

bigmama423
by Liz on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:52 PM

We don't have any...

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Good luck and I hope you get to enjoy your race! Congrats on your first 5K!

Quoting sjump25:

I wish I had a race shirt.  I am running my first 5k on the 27th of this month.  I'm a little nervous about running downtown St Louis now :(

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Cool!

I couldn't pull off a whole week of them at work -but I figured one day was not a problem.

Quoting mcginnisc:

I am taking it a bit further as a runner... I am wearing race shirts all week long. I wore one yesterday, and have one on now. I will be wearing them through Sunday- luckily, I run a ton of races and have plenty to choose from. 

Boston is like a runner's dream race. It is so hard to get qualified to run it and that is most peoples' goal. I would love to run Boston myself. Runners are such an amazing community of people and this hit many many runners very hard. It is such a tragedy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN