Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Anyone had a uterine ablation? Nervous....

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM
  • 23 Replies

Hello ladies, 

I'm having a uterine ablation next week due to long, heavy periods (for years). My gyno thinks it'll help a lot, and DH and I are done having kids, so I'm going to do it. However, I'd like to hear your stories if you've had it done. Pros? Cons? Glad you did it, or wish you hadn't? Discuss with me! I'm a bit nervous....the idea of "burning" the uterine lining is scary...

by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM
I have HORRIBLE periods, so I would love to ask you some questions!

What made you decide to do it?

How long should the effects last?

What is the recovery supposed to be like?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ILoveMyBoys426
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Well, I've had long periods for the last 3 years or so. They start for a day, then stop, then start up again, then get super heavy and painful for 3 days, then draaaaaaaag on for 6-7 more days, then some spotting, then bright red again, then spotting. LOL....so I really need that to stop. That's what made me decide to do it. 

Plus, wearing tampons and pads for more days out of the month than not, my skin gets so irritated. Not to mention it's gross having a period that long!

The effects are supposed to be permanent, but some women have to have the procedure again in a few years if their periods start acting up again. My doc said some women's periods even stop altogether! Some just get much lighter, like where you only need a pantyliner. I cannot even imagine that. 

The recovery consists of mild to severe cramping, depending on the person. My doc says some women have bad cramps for several days, while others have only mild cramps. The most painful cramps uaully happen during and right after the procedure. But again, everyone reacts differently. 

If you want it, do it! 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

EireLass
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Before I could do anything they did a procedure where I was lightly sedated, put a camera in my uterus, while I could watch on the screen, and I was found to have a bi-cornuit uterus. So no ablation for me. I ended up having the uterus removed.

sjump25
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM
My friend had it done and she is SO HAPPY she did.
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I have never done it, and don't know anyone who has, but I am just here to wish you good luck! :)

bigmama423
by Liz on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I know nothing about it...

I hope your procedure goes well though!!

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:45 PM
I have periods that are VERY heavy for the first 2 days. I am a teacher and when at work I find the first 2 days nearly unmanageable due to my lack of regular access to a bathroom. After the first 2 days, I have another 5 days if a more normal period - but those first two days, even if they fall in the weekend, I have a hard time keeping up. I bleed through everything and have a mess to deal with no matter what I do... :(

Quoting ILoveMyBoys426:

Well, I've had long periods for the last 3 years or so. They start for a day, then stop, then start up again, then get super heavy and painful for 3 days, then draaaaaaaag on for 6-7 more days, then some spotting, then bright red again, then spotting. LOL....so I really need that to stop. That's what made me decide to do it. 

Plus, wearing tampons and pads for more days out of the month than not, my skin gets so irritated. Not to mention it's gross having a period that long!

The effects are supposed to be permanent, but some women have to have the procedure again in a few years if their periods start acting up again. My doc said some women's periods even stop altogether! Some just get much lighter, like where you only need a pantyliner. I cannot even imagine that. 

The recovery consists of mild to severe cramping, depending on the person. My doc says some women have bad cramps for several days, while others have only mild cramps. The most painful cramps uaully happen during and right after the procedure. But again, everyone reacts differently. 

If you want it, do it! 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

amber057
by New Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM
I had In done In August. It was a great choice for me. I haven't had a period since the surgery and no perment complications or side effects. I was only tender for a couple of days. I do occasionally get cramps around the time I was suppose to start. I wish the best of luck!
sillymommy08
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Wondering how your procedure went?  Have u had any side effects from it?  I read that weight gain is a major side effect.  I'm supposed to have th is done and I'm worried about gaining a lot of weight.

Quoting ILoveMyBoys426:

Hello ladies, 

I'm having a uterine ablation next week due to long, heavy periods (for years). My gyno thinks it'll help a lot, and DH and I are done having kids, so I'm going to do it. However, I'd like to hear your stories if you've had it done. Pros? Cons? Glad you did it, or wish you hadn't? Discuss with me! I'm a bit nervous....the idea of "burning" the uterine lining is scary...

no-secrets
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Oh My Gosh, I just read your post!!  I am scheduled to have it done this Tuesday!  I am very excited to have it.  I am not nervous at all.  Can't wait.  Hope all goes well for you!  Let us know how you are doing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)