Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

No one ever said I married a genius,lol.

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:57 AM
  • 20 Replies

My 13yo old has a weight problem. We're doing all we can to help her, she's in gymnastics and we're going to gym 2x a week. Now the real problem is food. It's hard getting her to eat healthier so I came up with a plan. I have a chart on the wall with a point system. Water is worth 1pt, fruit 2pts, and veggies 3pts. When she gets up to 50 points, she earns 1$ in junk food.

I told dh and he said, well that's dumb. She's just going to eat vegetables and fruit all day so she can get the junk food. *Face palm* Yes my dear. That's the point,lol.

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marz31
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM

at 13, this sounds like a good plan, and maybe you could up the ante after she's getting better at things and offer her like $3 for something other than food as the reward and maybe help her get away from the crap. said the woman who's working VERY hard to not fight the changes we need to make as a family so we can avoid cholesterol meds. but really, if it's working, that's fantastic!

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

lol and that is a good system

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks :-) And the reason I think I may stick with this is that I want her to learn balance. Eat a lot of healthy stuff and have a little unhealthy. With this plan, the only time she gets anything remotly unhealthy is when she earns enough points.

And oh it's hard isn't it?? lol

Quoting Marz31:

at 13, this sounds like a good plan, and maybe you could up the ante after she's getting better at things and offer her like $3 for something other than food as the reward and maybe help her get away from the crap. said the woman who's working VERY hard to not fight the changes we need to make as a family so we can avoid cholesterol meds. but really, if it's working, that's fantastic!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Thank you and trial and error baby! It took me a while to get here,lol.

Quoting hayliedlr:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM
That's awesome. I think I might try something like that. My 13 yr old is a junk food junkie too.
Quoting paganbaby:

Thank you and trial and error baby! It took me a while to get here,lol.

Quoting hayliedlr:

sjump25
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL at your husband!  I think that's a great system!

rocky_mtn_mama
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Hmm... interesting idea.  I wouldn't have thought of something like this.  

The nice thing with the points is that she'll be too full to eat much junk.  

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

ha!  Your husband sounds like mine.  I like your idea.  We need to come up with a plan like that for our 10 year old daughter.  She's not overly overweight, but she could stand to lose a few.  She's always complaining about her "muffin tops" :(

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this
LOL about your dh!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM
What a great idea!!! My youngest chunks up a bit in the winter and this yr it was more than usual since he isn't going to aftercare, but straight home from school. (And the refrigerator), he's 11, and so this yr I've tried to make sure he has a sport every season. Skiing, basketball, baseball, and then all summer he is in camps that have swimming and sports. he definitely got my side of the family's tendency toward the fluffy side ....

Quoting Marz31:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)