Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Should businesses be allowed to deny service to gays?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:10 PM
  • 20 Replies

Last month, a florist in Washington refused to sell flowers that would be used for a gay wedding - saying it was against their relationship with Jesus Christ.

In Oregon, a bakery refused to make a lesbian couple a wedding cake - saying they don't serve same-sex marriages.

Do you think it's ok for these businesses to refuse service to someone because they're gay?

http://gma.yahoo.com/florist-refused-flowers-gay-wedding-sued-154420094--abc-news-topstories.html

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jomami
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I think they should mind their own business! Those businesses should be put out of business.

EireLass
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I think private business' should be able to serve who they want, and not serve who they don't want. It will only hurt them if they do deny service.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:06 PM

heck no, not their business

abigailsmommy11
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:50 PM
3 moms liked this

I think it is right in both of these cases. Obviously restaurants shouldn't be allowed to just turn away a Gay couple. But if I am a Wedding planner and it is my business, I don't think the government should be able to make me go against my religion and plan a Gay wedding. Just my humble opinion.

newwifenmom
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree

Quoting abigailsmommy11:

I think it is right in both of these cases. Obviously restaurants shouldn't be allowed to just turn away a Gay couple. But if I am a Wedding planner and it is my business, I don't think the government should be able to make me go against my religion and plan a Gay wedding. Just my humble opinion.

mommy9164
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

i fully agree as well

Quoting abigailsmommy11:

GvrDesigner
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:48 AM

NO!

imentall
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Luv to see those businesses go bankrupt! People r such assholes.
Texascandee
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM

If it's their business then they should be able to serve who they choose.  I don't know why everyone gets their panties in a knot because someone refuses to serve a gay couple.............it's up to the business owner and it doesn't matter what someone else thinks

arthistmom
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Any business owner can serve whomever they want. But he/she should also realize that there are many other businesses who would gladly take on as a customer or client the folks who were discriminated against. So I guess they weighed the lost revenue against the cost of defying their values (religious, moral, cultural, etc.) and their values won out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)