Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

I reported my son's school today

Posted by   + Show Post

Today I had lunch with my son.  One of the lunch monitors was just so rude and hateful to the kids.  At one point getting on the microphone and yelling "Hey kid in the orange!  Can you hear?  I said sit down!"  Then a little girl vomited on herself and she walks over, plugs her nose and runs off.  She stand across the lunch room and when the little girl vomits again she yells "Go to the nurse!"  She wasn't going to help her or anything!  Luckily there is a little old man that volunteers his time helping kids open packages at school and he walked her to the nurse.  This woman rolled her eyes at the kids, talked to them like they were idiots and just flat out pissed me off.  So I emailed the school a not very happy email.  I am so sick of witnessing people that work with kids being hateful and rude to them.  Look.. I get it, kids are stressful and dealing with that many kindergartners at one time is hard, but I feel like if you can't handle it find another job.  I send my kid to school trusting that he is being treated right.. not being talked to like a piece of crap.  Annoyed!

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Replies (21-28):
Marge2624
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:09 PM

clappingGood for you!!  I hope this lady loses her job.  She has no business being in the school.

btamilee
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I am a little confused....was this a teacher who was acting as a lunch monitor, or was it a lunch monitor?  I think I might have a different reaction to a teacher who is getting paid to teach, than I would a person who was getting paid to monitor or serve lunch.  Not that it is necessarily right for this grown adult to speak to a child that way....but I would be more upset if it were indeed a teacher.

Quoting sjump25:

Today I had lunch with my son.  One of the lunch monitors was just so rude and hateful to the kids.  At one point getting on the microphone and yelling "Hey kid in the orange!  Can you hear?  I said sit down!"  Then a little girl vomited on herself and she walks over, plugs her nose and runs off.  She stand across the lunch room and when the little girl vomits again she yells "Go to the nurse!"  She wasn't going to help her or anything!  Luckily there is a little old man that volunteers his time helping kids open packages at school and he walked her to the nurse.  This woman rolled her eyes at the kids, talked to them like they were idiots and just flat out pissed me off.  So I emailed the school a not very happy email.  I am so sick of witnessing people that work with kids being hateful and rude to them.  Look.. I get it, kids are stressful and dealing with that many kindergartners at one time is hard, but I feel like if you can't handle it find another job.  I send my kid to school trusting that he is being treated right.. not being talked to like a piece of crap.  Annoyed!

Diane1223
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Wow..you did the right thing!

sjump25
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:38 PM
No she's just a lunch monitor. I'm not sure I think it's any different though. She is getting paid to work with kids. She needs to know how to deal with them regardless if she's a teacher or not, IMO. And like you said...she's a grown adult, she shouldn't speak to a child (especially one that is not hers) that way.

Quoting btamilee:

I am a little confused....was this a teacher who was acting as a lunch monitor, or was it a lunch monitor?  I think I might have a different reaction to a teacher who is getting paid to teach, than I would a person who was getting paid to monitor or serve lunch.  Not that it is necessarily right for this grown adult to speak to a child that way....but I would be more upset if it were indeed a teacher.

Quoting sjump25:

sjump25
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM
The principal emailed me and said they had a meeting with the lunch staff this morning and let them know its not acceptable. They all said they have been a little short with the kids lately and promise to change that. The woman that didn't help the little girl that puked on herself said she was sorry and she ran off because she had a stomach bug *rolls eyes* anyway, they asked me to let them know if things are better next time I come to lunch. I was the only parent there yesterday so I'm sure they know who reported them and will act on their best behavior when they see me. Lol.
btamilee
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I do see what you are saying, either way it is wrong for her to speak to children that way.  But....if she was a teacher, I think I...personally would feel stronger about the situation.  Our school has lunch monitors, and there job is mainly to make sure that the lunch room is kept clean....and to help serve the lunches.  The teachers have lunch duty and it is up to them to be in charge of the kids.  I am sure its done differently at each school.  I think that most people responding to your post are the under the assumption that this monitor is also in a classroom teaching....

Quoting sjump25:

No she's just a lunch monitor. I'm not sure I think it's any different though. She is getting paid to work with kids. She needs to know how to deal with them regardless if she's a teacher or not, IMO. And like you said...she's a grown adult, she shouldn't speak to a child (especially one that is not hers) that way.

Quoting btamilee:

Quoting sjump25:

ktp111
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:22 AM

yes you did do the right thing!!!!!!!!

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:38 PM

It sounds like this day needs a new job. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)