Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Does your city do this?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:18 AM
  • 14 Replies

A friend of mine recently got pulled over for expired registration and no proof of insurance. This happened to her once before, and all she had to do was go to some office in the courthouse, show proof of insurance, and pay registration. THIS time, however, she had to actually go to court. She went to the same office she went to last time and was informed that all moving violations are now handled in the court room and in front of a judge. So, on top of paying her registration and ticket, she now has to pay court costs.

I've never had a moving violation, so it doesn't really effect me. I can see that she'll be extra careful to get her sh*t together because it was a pain to deal with, and others would be more careful too. I still think it's weird and unnecessary if the person isn't being charged with a crime. I guess I can't decide how I feel about it, lol. Does your city do this?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melissa632
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Hmm...I don't know. Cracking down I guess. We've lapsed, but thankfully never had an issue. We are now current :)
newwifenmom
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Here you pay your ticket but not court costs.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:29 AM

In OK city they did that

offrdngal
by Terri on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this

This is what some cities/towns are doing now, to get more revenue. Several of the counties, around my area, are doing the same thing.

sjump25
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:27 AM

My city does not do that...it seems like a waste of time and money.  As a matter of fact I just heard on the news that they have changed it to where if someone gets pulled over and has a small amount of pot on them it will be treated as a moving violation and there will be a ticket to pay.. no court or sentencing.  I think it's good.  Save the court costs and all the fuss for the bigger offenders.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM
I'm not sure if they do that here or not. I don't drive. I'd have to ask my husband, but he's never gotten a moving violation before so he may not know either.
amonkeymom
by Amy on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Good question, I've never had this issue and haven't had a ticket for any reason for quite a few years (knock on wood).

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Heck here they give you a fee for $1000 a year for three years for not having insurance and if your plates are expired then they impound your car and you go to jail and another fee for two years for no proof of registration. They want your money!

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Quoting sjump25:

My city does not do that...it seems like a waste of time and money.  As a matter of fact I just heard on the news that they have changed it to where if someone gets pulled over and has a small amount of pot on them it will be treated as a moving violation and there will be a ticket to pay.. no court or sentencing.  I think it's good.  Save the court costs and all the fuss for the bigger offenders.

Heck they are pulling people over for 2 miles over and the way they pull people over for seatbelts is unreal. I just got a ticket for running a red light when I went threw a yellow light, I went to court and they dropped the ticket because I proved that it was not safe for me to stop at the yellow light.

bigmama423
by Liz on Apr. 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I believe that's the same here too. They're even allowed to impound the car here...from what I've heard. Luckily I haven't had my car impounded!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)