Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bridesmaid wearing a Bolero... does this mean they're conservative?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM
  • 12 Replies

I'm going to be a Bridesmaid in my friend's wedding this summer, I'm shopping online for bachelorette party dresses... and I'm starting to wonder just how much skin is appropriate to reveal? 

I haven't seen my friend in years, and I've never met her fiance... but I do know that: he is religious, she was recently baptized, and my Bridesmaid wear includes a bolero to cover my shoulders (this inspired my main concern-- does a bolero mean they're pretty consertative and I should steer clear of cocktail dresses? Or is that a traditional thing in a church?).

I have a few questions, keep in mind this is my first time:

A.) Being a Bridesmaid 

B.) Attending a Rehearsal dinner

C.) Attending a bachelorette party

What I should wear to the Rehearsal dinner? I was thinking black Express pants and a white blouse? Would a dress be better, if so how much skin is too much at a Rehearsal dinner? Here is what my outfit looks like, this "dress" fits more like a top:

What should I wear to the bachlor/bachelorette party? How much skin is appropriate to show?

Does asking Bridesmaids to wear a bolero during the wedding mean it would also be inappropriate to show your shoulders at the bachelorette party???

Thanks for any advice, suggestions, experienced bridesmaid tips, ANYTHING!

Thank you!:)

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
huntersmama711
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:08 PM
My MOH is wearing a bolero jacket over her dress for modesty purposes. I'd say just be respectful of the length of your dress and the neckline. I'll post a picture of the dress we chose for MOH.
huntersmama711
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Mobile Photo

We went with this, and she'll have a matching bolero jacket over top of it. She Mennonite but felt very comfortable in this.
AvidAdrienne
by New Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I must have worded this post wrong...The bride picked out my bridesmaid outfit, that's a done deal.

What I need advice on is the rehearsal dinner & bachelorette party attire... Does a bridesmaid dress with a bolero mean I should also keep my shoulders covered for the parties? Or would a a sleeveless cocktail dress be okay to wear? 

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:39 AM
I'd ask the bride, but if you don't want to/can't for whatever reason, go with a bolero jacket with your rehearsal dinner outfit just in case.
LowryCuisine
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you know where the bachelorette party will be held? For my sister's parties, I am hosting the bridal shower that afternoon and will be wearing a 50's retro dress and for the bachelorette party later that night I'm going with jeans and a tshirt. We all want to be as comfy as possible but we're doing the bar crawl for the night and a wine tour the next day.

LawMom8308
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't wear pants..... It seems more appropriate for a dress. I know some people still believe that women shouldn't wear pants to functions and church but just to not cross any lines I'd do a dress with the shoulders covered as well.

bottomline
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Ask the bride. I don't wear dresses, unless I am in a wedding, so I would wear pants. Ask to be sure how casual the events are and you won't be under-dressed.

bigmama423
by Liz on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I'd say to ask the bride her opinion maybe..

SWasson
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:44 PM

This person is a friend of yours. She asked you to be her bridesmaid. Wear whatever you would normally wear for the non-wedding stuff; you don't have to pretend to be something you're not.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I like it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)